222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my current tank is a 30 (36" wide) stocked with:

6 penguin tetras
3 rummynose tetras
4 corys with 2 more on the way once they grow bigger
1 Pleco
2 keyhole cichlids
~10 plants in the substrate, some floaters. eco complete on the bottom, gravel on top.

tank is going great so far amonia/nitrites are always 0 and nitrates no more than 10ppm.

anyway, i still wanted to get a angelfish/ram tank and i was thinkin that it might be easier in stead of having 2 very very similar tanks to combine them into one larger one. i know that all these fish have similar requirements so could they all do well together?

what i would like would be something like 6-10 penguins 10 rummynose, 6-8 corys, the 2 keyholes i already have, 3-4 bolivian rams 1:2 or 1:3 m/f ratio if i can, and ~6 angels.

id like to go with a 48" tank so id only be really gaining a foot of length. hopefully thats enough room to add a few rams to the keyholes/corys that i have now. my keyholes pretty much stay close to the bottom most of the time (unless they are searching for food)

also taller is better with angels so would the 90 be better or would the 75 be fine?

thanks in advance, *** learned so much from this forum. i really appreciate you guys :thumb:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Normally I prefer 75's over 90's ... with only two exceptions, discus and angels. To really get full height with the angel's fins, I would deffinately go with the 90 if building a tank around them.

I would deffinately go with at least 10-12 penguin tetras though, they are one that can be a touch nippy towards long finned angels unless kept in a decent sized school, 6-8 just doesn't seem to be enough.

Though your tank is excellantly aquascaped though, so I hope you try to squeeze in both tanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was figuring that the tallest would be the best but since a 90 was only 3 inches taller it almost doesnt seem worth it.

good to know about the penguins, rummynose are so much nicer i figured id reather have a larger school of them. maybe i can squeeze 12 of each.

dont worry, if i upgrade the new tank will look very similar to this one....

·
Registered
26 Posts
*** seen the angels get kind of aggressive when they get older. not overly, but if you have smaller fish you might want to just keep an eye out.

you also would have a large tank, with a possible large school, so i doubt you would have such a big problem with it, and plants always work best for hiding im sure youve found.

·
Registered
26 Posts
*** seen the angels get kind of aggressive when they get older. not overly, but if you have smaller fish you might want to just keep an eye out.

you also would have a large tank, with a possible large school, so i doubt you would have such a big problem with it, and plants always work best for hiding im sure youve found.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
jcushing said:
yeah i was figuring that the tallest would be the best but since a 90 was only 3 inches taller it almost doesnt seem worth it.
You'd be surprised how much of a difference that few inches makes. My 90gal is next to my 75gal, and you really can see the difference. I'd say do a 90gal if you can as well, the angels will love the extra height.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
k an update, scratch the 75/90 idea,hows a 110 sound :D

i found a nice deal on a beautifull used oceanic brand 110 with stand. its 60" x 18" x 23.5". .5" glass with a .5" x 8" solid glass center brace and a full oak stand.

with the extra foot of floor space, this should make for a nice tank, what do you guys think for stocking angles, keyholes, bolivian ramsm tetras and corys

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
867 Posts
well if its 110 now then u can do 8 rams ( depending on what one gold-balvainion-blue ram or what ever there called lol. and go woth 8 angel try to mix up the colors tho. and 12 corys and switch the tetras up to 14 to 18

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
k got the tank all cleaned up and ready to go, bought another bag of eco-complete to supplement what i already have in the 30 to line the bottom of the tank (sitting in the tank in the pic). on-top of that will be a gravel play sand mix. i plan on picking up 1 LARGE piece of driftwood to go with what i have now.

more stocking questions, i happened to see a pair (meaning 2 i dunno m/f) of what were labeled as Juruparis at the LFS, they were still small, maybe ~4". My PH has always been very stable between 7.4-7.6 wich seems to be the upper end of juruparis range but from what *** read it seems doable, now that i think of it its just out of the rummynose's range too but they have fantastic coloration im my tank so it should be fine right?

so anyway would these guys be too much as in too many cichlids? id rather start out lightly stocked then too heavily stocked.

2 Jurupari
say 4-5 bolivian rams (basically thats all they have at the LFS)
the 2 keyholes i have now wich are almost fullgrown
5-6 angels (id get em small to start)
then say 15 penguin tetras, 15 rummynose
8-12 corys of the same type (i have 5 adolfoi now)

heres a pic of the tank. im still waiting on a canister filter (cascade 1500) a heater and a glass hood to show up. once the glass hood is on i will be fabbing up some CF ligthing fixtures so dont mind the ghetto lights. the only thing stopping me from transferring the fish i have now in the 30 into this tank is the lack of a hood. i dont want to loose any from something as stupid as them jumping cause i was anxious.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I don't know about mixing satanoperca species with rams. I have seen it done, but the rams stayed high in the tank, instead of down on the substrate. Also jurupari do reach between 10" to 12" TL, so would outcompete the smaller rams for food and prime location in the tank.

It's good to have a large piece of driftwood in the tank, but I'd still look at having some smaller pieces as well. This helps to create many line of sight breaks. Also larger earth eaters do move a lot of substrate and will readily uproot plants unintentionally and mix up your substrate, so the eco-complete will be mixed to the surface. From experience. :roll:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DeadFishFloating said:
It's good to have a large piece of driftwood in the tank, but I'd still look at having some smaller pieces as well. This helps to create many line of sight breaks.
if i add 1 large piece that would mean id have 4 total 1 med 2 smaller and 1 large

if the eartheaters wont mesh well i wont get them, but they are a neat fish and would look really nice in a tank like this. it would be nice to have a couple larger fish since everything else in here besides the angels are dwarfs.

anyone else have any experience with eartheaters and rams?

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
I told you how I feel about em' last night in chat - and I don't think they're true jurupari.

Anywho, the worst that can happen is you have to pull the fish and return them to the LFS for store credit on some food later on...

Problem with this hobby is - it's a lot easier to tell you what possibly won't work then what possibly will work, and stay on the conservative side. But if you want to gain any type of real experience, you need to experiment on your own after doing research and weighing out your options with true compatibility.

Overstocking tanks with SA's is more of a water quality issue than an aggression issue IMO.

I've got 6 full grown bolivian ram living peacefully in a 29 gallon tank, 2 males and 4 females - if I were to post that up on here everyone would tell me it can't be done.

In the end it boils down to how much money you have to burn and how good your netting skills are :p

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my netting sux, i have a refugee tiger barb in my SA tank cause he was chased out of my daughters 10g, i went to put him back in and i couldnt for the life of me get him..... (with a full tank anyway)

so last night you said you didnt see any problems, just to add the rams tetras and corys first so i was a bit confused said it might not work this morning....

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
They probably are Satanoperca, just Satanoperca leucosticta instead of Satanoperca jurupari. The hobby "jurupari" you see in almost every lfs in the states is really leucosticta as DBS stated, the true jurupari are very rare in the hobby.

Regardless of which one it is, I would skip it. Not because of tank size, but Satanoperca like being in large groups. And large groups of 10" fish wouldn't leave much space for anything else even in a 180 gallon.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the new tank is up and running, transfered everything over yesterday, tank is still a little cloudy so ill be doing 10% WC every other day or so till it clears up. so far no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrates are obviously ridiculously low so it looks like i was able to keep most of my bacteria going.

everyone was fine and dandy yesterday, swimming around acting normal and eating. today my female keyhole is acting wierd (swimming real close to the bottom as clost to plants and DW as possible) and my male is hiding in the upper corner of the tank behind the intake tube for the cannister filter. i think the tank is just too big open and new. i didnt add any new rocks or driftwood or plants so its really sparse looking. i know keyholes are shy so i hope they will adjust. i thought it might be the water but its been a constant 79 (same as last tank) 7.6ph (also same as last tank, its what my tap water is) and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate.

anyway heres a pic, no backround yet (ill get black put up soon) and liek i said its still a bit cloudy, normally my water is pretty clear.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
old setup (i added sand after this picture was taken)

new tank with basically all the same plants, DW and substrate (dont mind the flash)

male keyhole hiding

female, kinda "stuck" to the bottom

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I think the keyholes are just stressed out. I used to have a pair and whenever they got spooked, the male would go and hide in the top right corner behind the filter tubes and internal pump, while the female hid under a log, which was fine when she was small, but as she got older, she'd be lying on her side under the log.

The tank definately will need more driftwwod and plants for the fish to settle in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
a little better, its hard finding really nice large pieces in stores around here, i think i might need to go out looking somewhere else

the females been swimming around somewhat normal lately (shes in the upper left corner), males still really skittish. he came out when i put the 2 new pieces of DW inand seemed ok but went back to hiding.

do you think more fish would help or just add more plants at this point?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
do you think more fish would help or just add more plants at this point?
Do you have any tetras and corydoras catfish in there? If not I'd add a school of 12+ Rummynose tetras and 8 or so corydoras to start with.

And I still add more driftwood and plants.

Here's my first attempt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts