Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question has already been asked.
My question is, I am in the process of putting an African Cichlid tank together the fish that I am obtaining are (bare with my spelling):

Frontosa
Cobalt blue Socolofi
Electric Blue Hap Ahli
Electric Yellow Lab Mbuna (back order)

I was also supposed to be obtaining blue dolphins, however an unidentified fish was sent, not sure if I am taking it or not, I will go look at it tonight and make my decision from there.

Of the Frontosa's I have two that are more blue/teal colored and two that have more white with teal fins, I don't know how to sex them and they are only 2" in size, therefore not sure if they can be. My tank is only 55 gals for now, I do hope to buy a larger tank in a couple of years.
Will the fronts be okay in this size of tank? Do all Fronts get to 15" or are there smaller species?

Of the Cobalt Blue all seem to have good color are these all male, and if they are all male, would it be in my best interest to only purchase one?

Electric blue the aquarist figured he had a male and female, I am sure I have a female at home as the color is mostly brown, the only time you see a hint of blue is when the light hits it a certain way.

All the fish with maybe the exception of two are supposed to be all wild caught.

What are your suggestions?
I have a 205 fluval tank, I purchased two cichlids from wal-mart about two weeks ago as my tester fish, they are still alive so all is good :D . I have completed one water change, but will be completing a second change tonight if I have a chance...picking up new fish tonight which are the list that I have mentioned.

Sunburst peacocks were DOA
and Electric Yellow labs are on back order.

Any and all advice is appreciated :wink:
:wink:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
you really shouldnt put any or keep to a very small amount of fish in a tank that hasnt been fully cycled. i dont really know much about fronts except when they get big enough theyll have most mbuna for lunch. the electric blue ahli is actually S. fryeri and can get pretty aggressive as it grows so it may pick on the others.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Personally I wouldn't mix those species... I love my fronts, and if they're only 2 inches now, it's hard to say how many, if any, will reach 15 inches... Do you know what type of front they are?? I would never mix the electric blue hap with the fronts as they electric blue hap can get nasty... I love them, but fronts get stressed easily, mine get skittish when I turn on the light sometimes... The yellow labs is a mbuna - and from from lake Malawai, and the fronts are from Tanganika... the haps are from deeper in the lake , the labs are from shallower parts... their feeding habbits and needs may be different... Fronts do best in a longer tank, such as a 6 foot 100+ gallon tank...

The plan for my fronts is to put my inkfin calvus with them, mabye a synodonis of someo kind, or a pleco... and possibly a clown loach - they're a good species tank only fish, IMO...

I'm still somewhat a newbie... all of the species I'm interested in to a point so have researched the needs... I only speak of the ones I own... so... I'd never mix them... They'll be ok as juvies, but when they reach sexual maturity, the aggression will begin.

Good luck though... not sure if you can choose different fish yet, but my advice to new cichlid keepers (other than ask questions first, buy fish later) is to start with yellow labs and acei's... they're fun, hardy, easy to obtain, and relatively inexpensive... once you get the hang of it, read and ask questions, read and ask question, read and ask questions and then move to the next species...

Good luck with the cichlid keeping - sorry if this isn't the advice you wanted to hear... but it's good to ask questions... it's very disappointing when certain mixes don't work out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In my opinion, you will have no problem putting those guys in a 55 gallon tank. I have done similiar mixtures in the past. One caveat to that is that your fish are apparently wild caught. I have no experience with wild caught fish and I have heard that they are a little more 'wild' than the tank-raised fish. Of course, give them plenty of places to be out of the direct line of sight of the other fish.

It will take a long time for your frontosas to get 15 inches. I purchased mine at about 2 inches 6 months ago and they are now about 4 to 5 inches.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think that you can maintain a singular female front in an aquarium as small as 55 gallons. Bigger is better and your fronts will do much better in a 6'. Why not trade the fronts in on something smaller but with a similar colour pattern like a single tret? Long term you won't be able to keep multiple fronts in that aquarium, so you may as well set up a back up plan.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I would pass on the frontosa in a 55 gallon. To be frank, I wouldn't keep Scieanochromis fryeri (electric blue ahli) in such a tank either.

It is best to keep either all males, or at least three females of each of the species you are considering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts