Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently decided to get a new tank, well now i have 2 a 90 gallon currently empty, and a 125 fully set up with 2 managuense's and 1 small JD and one little red devil/midas (too young to tell) has crushed coral as my gravel. plenty of hiding places. all less than 2 inches. thats why i kept the 90 because i know they will not all last together.

my main question is about my filtration. i have 1 ehiem 2028 and 1 fluval 405 on in in opposite corners. also a powerhead for added water movement. i know that between the 2 there is enough filtration im just wondering if a fx5 would be better in place of the ehiem. i dont have much experience with the ehiems. honestly i have more questions than i know what to do with right now but ill gather them and ask later.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
180 Posts
Based on what you have said so far, you are likely fine for now, with juvenile fish. Once those are full grown, then you might want to consider the FX5, but I would not consider it necessary yet. If you find one on sale then go for it..

Personally I am a fan of having both canisters and hobs. Based on what you posted, I would suggest an AC110 instead of the fx5, you can run the HOB and the 2 cannisters you have now and likely be set for a long time..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after doing some reading i am starting to see that is the general idea. im thinking about getting the fx5 and switching the ehiem to the 90 gallon and then getting the AC110 just for the HOB on the 125 along with the 405 and the fx5.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok perfect i have my plan of attrack on the filtration now. my next question is where the pick up tubes should be located in the tank. right now i have the water returns in the far corners and the pick ups at the two center braces. and when i buy the AC 110 it will be in the center. also i have my powerhead in the far left corner pushing across the tank.

again thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
went out last night and got the AC110 and put it in also. i had to move the fluval pick up over next to the output side in the corner in order to fit the AC under my hood. anything else i should be thinking about to make this any better?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds like the basics are well covered now. I will guess that you do have and know how to use a basic water test kit to confirm that your water quality is good. Only thing left to do are optional advanced tasks. Like maybe adding live plants to your tank (not for me personally), or trying to setup a perpetual water change for the tank to control nitrates (seen it done on a few threads requires plumbing knowhow).

Happy fish keeping!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup i have the master test kit with the liquid drops. test my water weekly, have been doing bi weekly gravel vacuuming and partial water changes. due to the fact that these fish are sloppy eaters. they are almonst to the size now that im going to set the 90 gallon back up to house the JD's. to give the managuense's and RD plenty of space. also added another AC 110 last night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts