Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, long time viewer, first time poster.

*** kept both freshwater and marines over the past few years but have never tried my hand with Africans. *** decided on a Tanganyikan setup but am unsure on what to stock it with. I would love to try a colony of Tropheus Duboisi but after much reading I think it might be a bit much for my first foray into Africans so might do a community setup of some kind with lots of colour. The tank is a 350 liter (90g) filtered with an FX 5 canister. The params are all in order for a setup like this too. She is cycled and ready to go so just looking for any input on stocking. Look foward to chatting with you all,

viper

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go for the Duboisi. People overplay how hard they are to keep. Do your weekly water changes, feed spirulina and keep them species only and you are golden. Duboisi are a lot more forgiving and less agressive than other tropheus species.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Trophs for sure. Just make sure u have a good size colony and appropriate m/f ratio. I would add a sponge filter to each back corner for a little more filtration. Some gobies would love the sponges and the food trophs eat. They go well together

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the replies guys. Im leaning towards the trophs again.How many trophs should I begin with given the size of the tank? Will the gobies do ok with synos? Had my eye on some petricolas for the bottom but I have done no research on gobies so thats more reading. Apologies for the noob questions but would like to get this right from the start.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Make sure you like the look of the adult duboisi...they are very different than the cute little juveniles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go for as many trophs as you can. The more the merrier with these guys. I would recommend 18-24 and then cull out a few males to get your ratio right (the LFS will probably buy them back). A good rule of thumb is no less than 13 fish for a colony (but again more is better). Gobies will work with them, but I would nix the synos if you want to have any babies survive. With the gobies I would try hard to get one male and several females with the footprint of the tank you have. Sponge filters are a good idea and also if you have any Koralia or Tunze water movers left over from your saltwater days they will help (after a cleaning to get rid of salt crust). Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice one willz, sounds like good advice. *** no interest in keeping the fry (yet) so might go ahead with the synos to add a bit of interest to the bottom of the setup. Reference the trophs, am I right in trying to get a ratio of one male for every three to four females? Also, when is a good time to cull them out? *** been checking out some of the different types of goby cichlids on the web, fantastic looking fish and will certainly introduce a group when this thing is being stocked. Pretty sure I have a Koralia in the shed but it was used in a big salty setup and might be a bit powerful or are these guys ok with a bit of flow in the tank? Cheers,

viper

·
Registered
73 Posts
from what i hear they are good with a high current. dont have a tank large enough to keep any so im not sure. a good way to keep fry without stripping is make a few 'piles' with some 1in river rock. the fry will be small enough to hide in there & escape predators till they are a little bigger... got a buddy doining it this way and hasnt stripped a troph in a while yet has tons of fry

·
Registered
363 Posts
viperbot said:
I've no interest in keeping the fry (yet)
You may have a bit more interest when you go to purchase your colony. Have you checked into how much juvies go for? They're not cheap.

The cool thing with tropheus (which separates them from most other Tangs and Malawi cichlids) is that they will not eat their fry. This makes things much easier for a first time breeder... not having to separate them to a growout tank and all. Like Cracks said, give them a couple of small rock piles or a some holey rock and they'll be good to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The ratio is a hot topic of debate. Some folks swear they can make 1:1 work, but I think the more females to males you have the less agression. I would think when they start to show signs of breeding would be the time to cull out the smaller, less colorful males (around 3"). You should be able to vent them at that size. The more flow the better. The FX5 will give you almost 10x turnover, but I usually like to have more than one source of flow in the tank to keep the mulm from accumulating on the substrate. If you have a 500gph or less powerhead you should be good. Some of the bigger powerheads have the ability to dial back the flow. I know the gobies are accustomed to highly oxygenated water (they live on the rocky shoreline), so more flow should keep the water in good shape for them. I haven't kept gobies yet, but am looking to get some on my next order. I think the Eretmodus are less agressive than the other two genus (Spathodus and Tanganicodus). Whatever you pick you should have a nice lively tank. Keep us posted on your new tank!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome stuff lads. I hope to get started on this soon so will keep you all posted and throw up a few pics as it progresses. Thanks for taking the time to help me out,

viper

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, the other half has weighed in and is insisting I go malawi with the tank. Tried convincing her that they are a bit nuts but she is dead set on peacocks or some of the less aggressive mbuna. She is a sucker for the colour...Its our only tank and the house is hers so I guess Im boxed in until I convince her we "need" another tank. So the trophs are on the long finger for now :roll: . Now the research starts over with the malawis...thanks again lads for your insights, mabey you could help me out with stocking ideas, ill be starting a thread in that section. Later,

viper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.