Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up a new aquarium. My LFS gave me a few gallons of of filter sponge water to help jumps start the cycle. I added a trio of 3" yellow lab and a trio of 3" cobalt blue to get started. I know I should have opted for smaller fish but they had a guy bring in really nice selection who was relocating for work. I went ahead and rolled the dice. It has now been 5 days 2/3 of the blues seem to be doing well. 1 has what I believe to be ich. I will attach pictures a long with water parameters. It could also be my trio might be MMF even though they were vented by a knowledgeable employee. I have yet to see them eat. 2 have been flashing some along the bottom.

The yellow labs are doing great!

My gut says treat for Ich and do a 25% water change.........Would love to know what you guys and gals think.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,544 Posts
Your tank is not cycled. The sponges are not working. Can you get more established media from the LFS?

Meanwhile change 50% of the water and post test results. You have to keep ammonia and nitrite below 1ppm for your fish to live through this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
^^^What DJ said. Definitely not cycled. Did you just get water from the lfs? If so, that isn't really doing much if anything at all. Like DJ said, you need the actual used/established sponge or media from the lfs. It is what contains the beneficial bacteria, not the water. That would jump start your cycle. You also need to start treating that ich. You can find that information at the top of the page. Click the library tab, then health and then understanding/treating ich. It's easy to treat, but you have to get on it right away or it can be certain death.

·
Super Moderator
40,544 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum by the way!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the replies picking up another bottle of prime and an ich treatment on the way home!

Would you recommend using my carbon filter, cloth material or no filter? Running a marine land internal pi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
***UPDATE***

Stop by a chain pet store on the way home picked up prime, super ich cure by API (that's all that was available).

When I got home my sick fish was doing the barrel roll. Immediately did a 50 percent water change. Added ich cure, stress coat and prime. Tank has been refilled, sick fish still doing the barrel roll thing. But will get a jolt of somewhat normal activity every so often. Should I remove the fish and buy a quarantine aquarium, leave it be or just put the her out of her misery?

I also ran another water test after, ammonia still at a high level. (see photo)

Sorry for all the questions, trying to do the right thing. I don't recall having any problems when I was keeping cichlids throughout college.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
If I had a positive ammonia reading I would keep doing water changes to bring that number down. When I started past tanks I didn't cycle the tank but rather did a 50% water change every day for about 5 weeks until the cycle kicked in.

·
Registered
424 Posts
As others have mentioned, you will have to keep doing water changes for the fish to survive. That ammonia is too high and will kill the fish. Weekly water changes won't work you probably need to do daily for a while. Or get more seeded media from the LFS.

·
Super Moderator
40,544 Posts
Keep changing water until your test shows 1ppm. You can do 50% every morning and 50% every evening...or even larger percents to get to the 1ppm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.