Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! New to the site, and somewhat new to the topic...

I've got a 90 gallon 48" long tank, that I want to use as a display. I kept some Jack Dempsey's in the past, but that was dare I say a few decades ago, so most of my knowledge is gone (or worse...)

Anyway, I am looking to do something that seems to be atypical with cichlids... I want to keep just a few fish, and NOT have them breed, at least not right now. If they do breed, they will be at the mercy of the Eheim 1500xl canister monster...

I am leaning towards South American because I like driftwood, and some live plants. But I am open to all advice.

·
Super Moderator
2,023 Posts
Welcome to C-F!

I'll let others comment on fish suggestions for your new 90G tank.

Is this your 1st time with the Eheim 1500xl? I have a few of these formerly 2260/62 filters currently running and can offer some suggestions both for media and if desired, rotating the pump so it should fit under your stand if there is enough clearance for this monster canister.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Oh wow... you have, THE BIG ONE for a 90 gallon tank?
Cool!
So..... blank slate? My goodness! that opens up a huge amount of possibilities!
For ideas, here is a nicely built, 90 gallon 'Central American' themed tank.
A 3D background piece mounted to the back glass, plus a huge amount of rocks and bogwood make for a pretty nice look on this one. (I do suspect the OP in that thread is going to discover with his recent - impulsive? - stocking choices, that he may soon need a six foot tank).
Otherwise, something kind of off-beat and pretty cool could be based off of an individual, Paratilapia polleni, (Starry Night Cichlid) originally from Madagascar.
Water Fin Organism Underwater Fish

Males of this pretty species can get up to almost 11 inches, while the females average usually half that. That one could be a pretty cool, centerpiece Cichlid for a community set up.

Reactions: jherbicide

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is my first foray with this filter. I’ve already got media figured out (three progressive foam layers, rest filled with 'biohome') and the pump rotated and padded for quietness. Got a killer deal on a barely used filter and unused media. No such thing as overkill. If the pump is too aggressive, can always pinch it off!

I also plan on a HOB refugium for the sake of growing some pothos.

·
Registered
280 Posts
May be skipping the HOB refugium for a 3D background...
Let the pothos roots grow behind the 3d background...?
Also, be careful restricting the flow out of pumps, it can stress them and cause them to fail. I prefer still flowing as much water, but reducing the flow with spray bars and impinging it against the back wall.
Otherwise, you earn nearly full Strum marks. I also am a fan of huge over-filtration. The only thing I would change would be to skip the biohome in favor of something more useful like K1, or better yet, more foam. I've killed that horse around here though, so that's all I'll say, lest @Auballagh yell at me for jacking your thread :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let the pothos roots grow behind the 3d background...?
Also, be careful restricting the flow out of pumps, it can stress them and cause them to fail. I prefer still flowing as much water, but reducing the flow with spray bars and impinging it against the back wall.
Otherwise, you earn nearly full Strum marks. I also am a fan of huge over-filtration. The only thing I would change would be to skip the biohome in favor of something more useful like K1, or better yet, more foam. I've killed that horse around here though, so that's all I'll say, lest @Auballagh yell at me for jacking your thread :)
Yes, pothos behind the 3d background, roots bagged in cheesecloth (or whatever the correct term) to keep out of the filter intake. I think with the 2262 pump and the head of about 3' (1m), plus a spray bar its probably 'restricted' enough for a 90 gallon.

I don't want to overstock, for ease of care. I'm mostly doing this for my two young kids, they love seeing fish at the doctor and elsewhere. So far my research has brought me back to Jack Dempsey's or Salvani's, or back to various Africans I believe. In other words, my research hasn't gotten me anywhere!

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Jeeeze man, the 90 gallon thing is definitely getting some mileage on C-F these days, hmmmm? And well, if anything... I seem to have convinced our OP to invest in a 3D background, at least!
(And El' Hefe: Keep slinging 'em bro', te amo Hemano!)
-
And this place definitely DOES recommended stocking schemes. Yep. So, some good info here - keep coming back with those ideas! :Likes. Dreams. Whatizits. Etc.... Heck man, along the way you'll probably even get in a few technical tidbits for good measure. :)

Reactions: SenorStrum
1 - 9 of 9 Posts