Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my new Mbuna tank, just filled it up. 100 gallons , what do you all think.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Looks good, only thing I would do is redo the rock piles.. 3 similar rock piles split up in 3 sections doesn't look natural, they all look the same..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pretty cool background. Yeah I think I would change the rocks around to. Just a personal preference. But, its all about what you like.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Very nice. :thumb:

Can you tell us about the background? Is it one of those purchased modular inserts? Looks cool.

What are your tank dimensions?
What fish do you want to stock? Need more pics when you get 'em. :popcorn:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, i was thinking the same thing about the rocks, will post some picks after i redo. Going the Demasoni/Lab mix, and probaly adding some rustys and acie.

The background is a DIY lava rock, but I changed it up and added large pieces to change it up, really happy how it turned out. I used vinyl guttering so there are many caves in the back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is an update, added 5 acei to aid in the cycling.

Should get the rest of my fish next week.

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

another shot

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is 51"x19.5"x24"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got all my fish,

Stocklist as follows and will take pics tonight. Have had the fish for a week now and evryone is doing great.

4 Acei
16 yellow labs
18 Demasoni

After I have removed some of the extra males, might get some red tropheus to add some more color, not for sure yet though.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Better keep an eye on those water parameters. That's an awful lot of fish for that size tank, and an uncycled one at that. You will get some serious spikes. Be prepared to do lots of water changes. Perhaps add some of Dr. Tims bacteria in a bottle to help jump start a good colony.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tank is completly cycled, Nitrites and Ammonia are at 0, nitrates are at 9, ph is 8.1, so I am good there, I am doing weekly water changes, have kept large quanities of fish before no problems there, they will be getting thinned down once they get larger.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tanks been cycling for a few weeks with stabil being added daily. Still adding it twice a week. Water got cloudy about two days after new fish were added but is now crystal clear, but still adding stabil as a precaution.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ok, sounds good! And I do like the way you laid out the rocks, good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies, I do plan on scaling back on the numbers of fish once they get bigger. I am actually thinking of adding some red tropheus (not sure what kind yet) to add some color, will have to see though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, I really love it, all it is is vinyl guttering with lava rock. I wanted to add some depth to it as i really didnt care for the striaght up and down wall so I went to a garden supply place and picked up some bigger pieces and used them. Word to the wise is spray paint the vinyl before hand (lesson learned) as the white will show really bad with the dark rock. Actually I spray painted the lava rock to to get the background to not be so red as all my small rock was the red lava rock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts