Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've decided to re-enter the hobby after a few years away and would like to have a go at setting up a Mbuna tank.

I'm in the early stages of research and already I have a few questions that hopefully one or two of you wouldn't mind answering :)
:
I still have my old Rena 240l tank (W:120cm D:40cm H:55cm) and I'd like to ask:

Realistically, how many Mbuna can I house in a tank like this? 20 or more or slightly less?

How much filtration in relation to the amount of fish do i need? I'm looking at Eheim cannister filters as I know this brand and have used in the past without problems but do I stick with one bigger filter or two smaller ones?

Any stocking ideas for a beginner would be really help too.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you :thumb:

Robs

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Robs,

One of my tanks has the same dimensions as yours (it's a Juwel Rio 240 with the internal filter ripped out), and I'm using two Eheim filters on it (Pro 4+ 350s). Benefits of using two include redundancy, if one breaks you've got time to sort it out, and you get more water flow to different areas of the tank. You'll get recommendations to have 8-10x water volume turnover per hour as mbuna are messy and overstocking is used to manage aggression, so there's a fair amount of waste to process. Unless you're going to stick an FX6 or one of the massive Eheim buckets on there you're going to need two canisters to get enough water turnover.

The EU/UK tank sizes fall in between the cookie cutter setups here, so bear that in mind when looking at fish numbers. 240L is ~63G, and 400mm is a bit under 16", whilst the cookie cutter setups in the library are for 48x12" 55G and 48x18" 75G tanks. I'd imagine the recommendations you'll get will be between 15 and 20 fish, depending on the species you pick, with probably 3 different species (maybe 4). Have you had a look at the recommended stocking in the library section for the 55G and 75G setups?

What colour fish do you like? Do you prefer smaller or larger fish (4" vs 5-6")? Any fish that jump out as favourites?

Yellow labs (Labidochromis caeruleus) are widely recommended as they're one of the easier mbuna to keep, and are readily available. I used those as the basis for stocking my first tank (I made a fair number of mistakes during that process, but I think I've got there in the end!).

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
Stock it like a 55G. I recommend you think in terms of 3 species with 1m:4f of each. Good beginning fish in a tank this size are Labidochromis caeruleus, Iodotropehus sprengerae and Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue.

I don't use 2 filters in a 55G. Shoot for GPH of 8X to 10X.

I don't like Eheim prices or ease of maintenance. I like the API Rena Filstar XP canisters. If you want backup, keep an Aqua Clear HOB filter in storage.

Be sure to check any stock plan you find in the cookie cutters here because some have better odds for success than others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts