Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi a mate of mine has asked me to sort out his new tank, its a 45g with a Fluval external and an ehiem internal filters giving more than enough filtration capacity

as his son is autistic i suggested that he look at a Malawi setup due to their active nature and bright coloring. however im not entirely sure as to what species he should go for. below is a list of species our local breeder has available at the moment.

Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Chisumulae
Melonochromis Maingano
Melonochromis Johanni
Metriaclima Greshakei
Metriaclima Greshakei Albino
Pseudotropheus Acei Ngara
Pseudotropheus Elongatus Chewere
Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga
Ps. Elongatus Mpanga
Pseudotropheus Elongatus Ornatus
Pseudotropheus Zebra Blue

the main considerations are that there isnt going to be any major aggression and its a colorful mix. what do you all suggest?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Do you know the dimensions of the tank? It looks like standard 45s are usually 36" x 12" x 22". Many of the species that you listed will do best in a 48" long tank.

If the tank is three feet long, yellow labs would definitely work, but my recommendation would be for a colony of Pseudotropheus Saulosi if you can find them. That would probably give you the brightest colors for a small tank space - at least for mbuna.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the tank dimensions are 48" L x 12" W x 18" H

*** just been using Aqadvisor but it max's out at only 15 fish, is this right? i was under the impression they should be heavily stocked to minimize aggression.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Fifteen fish IS heavily stocked, LOL.

A lot of those are pretty aggressive. I'd choose the labs for one of three species and keep looking for species two and three.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im thinking from the research *** done

5x Labidochromis Caeruleus
5x Metriaclima Greshakei

and either
5x Labidochromis Chisumulae
or
5x Pseudotropheus Zebra Blue

what do you think to this??

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Don't mix the 2 lab types. What's a Ps. Zebra Blue?

Labs and greshakei would go great together, IMO. Blues might go. Depends on if they're solid blue or striped.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Pseudotropheus Zebra is a Metriaclima. So you would not want to mix with the greshakei.

Maybe just the labs and greshakei and up the numbers to 7 of each?

1m:6f.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts