Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a higher output Actinic and what a difference in blue.. I can't decide If I like it or not.. Looks extremely reef like now..

What do you guys think? Honest opinions

Here is how it looked before

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have to say in the picture it looks good but I know exactly what you mean. I had a H/O actinic bulb along with the white daylight bulb and it was way too blue for liking. I ended up switching to a non H/O bulb and I now like it very much.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its crazy all I switched was from the 28w to the 54w HO and that's how much brighter it is. Both tank setups are the same.. actinic/6k , blue one is just HO.. I am stuck.. I think it looks cool but feels like it washes out the yellow and orange.. im considering trying 50/50 HO w/6k not sure how that will look.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I may try the 50/50 setup Run one HO 50/50 bulb and the 6k HO.. Hopefully the 50/50 will add just enough blue but not overpower it.. Something in between this blue and the orginal color would be perfect.

How would two 10ks look? May have to cosider that as well.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up keeping the Actinic and putting in a 10k HO, Much better.. Ill post pictures later tonight when its dark and my new background is in :thumb:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
:popcorn:

I am interested in see how it turns out. I am gonna be switching to black sand and painting the back black myself and not so sure that the Marineland DB's i have now till be enough to do the job. Thats the only thing that has been holding me back from doing it is the fear of it looking "gloomy" and "too dark" when finished.

I didnt mind the blue look in the pics, but in person it might have been a little too blue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
[imghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dLSVgS5AxBI/SrDvrjbhJiI/AAAAAAAAjCE/W5AHN6yfepc/s400/LakeMalawi+(2).jpg

her's a pic from under the actual lake, i'd say yours is pretty similar. I wish there was a way to make it exactly like that though.[/img]

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually with the 10k it looks just like that :thumb:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My background didn't come in today, got delayed until monday :( :( here are pictures anyways with the 10k and Actinic.. You can still see it's pretty blue but now you can notice it with more white, lightens it up some.. It really does look like a deep ocean..

·
Registered
107 Posts
duuuuude I like that!!!! With mine im gonna try to hang the lights higher over the tank to see if it will give it a more "natural sunlight effect"

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In person it looks so much better.. its hard to capture that blue on camera and especially on video

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a better pic at night time.. I was finally able to capture the actual color, see how much better it looks with the 10k?

Pretty happy how it looks now..

newforestrob, I had the guy from here http://www.designsbynature.net/
make me their prefitted 55g one for my 90g, expectional pricing and great looking background.. It's supposed to come in 4 pieces I believe and can be installed in an already established tank with no silicon or magnets.. We'll see how it goes when it comes on Monday.

Here is the one I had him make for me.

I think it will fit my setup great :thumb: it was the closest i could find for the color and style of rock.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I think your tank looks better with the blue. I don't even really see it that much and your rock work and everything looks very natural I really like your tank setup!!!! Great job, I feel your just thinking too much into this.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
newforestrob said:
Cromak
installed in an already established tank with no silicon or magnets

hows it attached?I think that will look really good
Here is my tank with the new background.. It's basically just cut down so it fits underneath the tank braces, then pushed flat against the glass.. Move your substrate back so its flush with the bottom of the tank then push it back once installed.. So I get support from the sand and top braces.. Fits perfectly.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=228969

·
Registered
403 Posts
Cromak said:
I went to a higher output Actinic and what a difference in blue.. I can't decide If I like it or not.. Looks extremely reef like now..

What do you guys think? Honest opinions

Here is how it looked before

I'm late on this thread, but what lights do you have in the last pic? I like that best. I have 6700 and 7100 CFs I'm looking to replace. I'm tired of the yellowish look, and am considering either 10,000ks or 10,000k/Actinic 03 combos. Don't want it TOO blue, and like the look of your last photo, which is why I ask.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The first two are 10k/actinic HOs the last is two 10k HO's

Now that the Actinic bulb has been in use for awhile the blue has gone away a lot, now it looks so much better.

I'll try to get an updated pic later on..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts