Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm new to the forum and new to cichlids but not new to fishkeeping. I wanted some advice on my ideas please. I have a 260 litre tank with cabinet that I have had for years brought cheap with a pair of tortoise in from a pet shop but had to wait for a house change with concrete floors to finally be able to set it up. I have resealed it and now am ready to start setting it up. I purchased a Fluval 407 canister and a Seachem Tidal 110 HOB filter. The tidal will be for mechanical filtration only with filter floss to polish the water. The 407 will cover the biological filtration all 4 trays filled with media but I'm not sure what types to choose. I have heard Fluval Biomax Filter Media and Seachem Matrix Biological Media are great these 2 with a tray of Marineland Bio-Filter Balls and maybe a tray of Biohome Ultimate Filter Media or lava rock. What are your thoughts please.

I'm going to have black sand as substrate no plants as I heard malawi destroy them. The rocks are hard to get where I live in the UK not close to any major city's so was thinking clay flower pots in various sizes or slate placed to make caves. Any tips on things to do as I'm setting up would be greatly appreciated.

Going to have the tank running for around 12 weeks before any fish will be even thought about being brought which is another area I'd like some input on are malawi good cichlids to keep or are there better tbh I chose those because of the bright colours of the fish, also because of my location these will probably be brought online is this an OK thing to do ?

Thank you inadvance for any advice given.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Welcome to C-F!

Can you post the dimensions of your tank please in Length x Width x Height?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Definitely need the dimensions. Also was the tank meant to hold water, or just reptiles? Some reptile tanks have glass that is too thin to hold water for fish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK measured the tank 122cm wide, 51cm high and 38cm deep. Comes out at 236 litres or 62 gallons not 260 litres which I originally thought. Measured the thickness of the glass and its either 6mm or 7mm thick.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Sounds good. I would stock it like a 55G which is 48x12.

I would skip acei as too large for your tank. 1m:4f of each of these will give you some color:
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Cynotilapia sp. hara a.k.a. white tops
Iodotropheus sprengerae rusties

1 - 5 of 5 Posts