Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, tonight, I decided to go ahead and strip one of my female labs. It was her first time holding and I wish I could of let her hold a little longer but the girlfriend wouldnt stop bugging me about how she was afraid she was getting to weak. I think they probably could have stayed a little while longer seeing as they still have their yolk sacks but they are free swimming. The original count of fry was 14, I guess we will see how many I end up with

I currently have them in a 20 reg with a proper heat, filtration and lighting. This tank was an established tank previously so everything is cycled and good to go. I have tied panty hose over the filter intake and it seems to work pretty well.

I also have first bites the I will be feeding them, but obviously since they still have their yolk sacks I won't be feeding them that right now.

I do have a bubbler that I can put in there if it would help, but I think it might make the current to strong for the little guys.

Does anyone have any suggestions on anything or any good tricks of the trade. All input would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Enjoy the fry. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I agree with DJ and would add that plenty of water changes are a good practice for fry tanks. I do mine every other day. Some swear it helps them grow as much as feeding. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
DrgRcr said:
I agree with DJ and would add that plenty of water changes are a good practice for fry tanks. I do mine every other day. Some swear it helps them grow as much as feeding. Good luck and enjoy!
Yup change water everyother day and they will grow. I feed the first bites to my fry also and what I do is empty the bag into an old pill bottle so its easier to get to. Then for feeding dip a toothpick into tank then into food so it sticks to it then you can just dip it into the tank and it seem to give them just about the right amount. Someone told me that one here and it seems to work pretty good. Also I got frozen baby brine shrimp and cut the little blocks into 4 and alternate with with that. My fry were stripped on the 19th of march and are already a good 3/4 inch.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
169 Posts
My favorite food for new fry is freshly hatched brine shrimp. They are easy to see since they are moving and the fry go after them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts