Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, am new to Cichlid keeping, but not new to fishkeeping, have had community fish for 20 years on and off, but decided to switch to something a little different.

I have roughly a 65gal tank, currently sand substrate with a rock/slate landscape in, and 5 yellow labs. Runing a JBL Cristiprofi e902 filtration system.

I do a 15% water change weekly, and so far so good, chemical levels are looking good, and no problems seen.

I dont see the fish much to be honest, they are prob around 20 weeks old now, however I have so many caves and stuff in the tank they tend to stay in there quite a lot.

Am hoping to see more of them when they mature! So the tank, is a work in progress. I currently have solid blue back and 1 side (to stop sunlight blasting in), i will be changing this to a proper adhesive backdrop.

So i have a few questions if thats OK.

Plants - currently there are no live plants in the tank, are there any that I can use? I was told that the cichlids will rip/eat any plants that go in there so rocks are the way to go?

Tank mates - also looking to add some more fish. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Kev

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine are about two months old now and the same they mostly chill in the rock structure unless they are hungry, I too am hoping they become more active. I have 4 yellow labs, their tankmates include 3 Rusties, 4 colbalt blue, and 2 demonani. So far everyone seems to be getting along well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Look at java ferns or anubius for plants. Other species....rusties, cyno white top haras or cynos jalo reef, elongatus Chewere or maybe acei (but need at least 48inches length)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my 12 cichlids as juveniles last fall and I was so excited when I got them, but quickly grew frustrated because I rarely got to see a lot of them since they stayed hidden so often. They are a lot more active now, and it probably took at least 2-3 months before they started to recognize that I wasn't a threat during feeding time. Now They will still scatter and hide when I first approach the tank, but as soon as I open the lid they all come back out and wait for the food to hit the top of the water and are very active when eating. It's nice to finally be able to enjoy them. Just be patient and they will become more active over time.

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts