Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I now have another holding female. This is the first for the fish, but second for the tank. No fry yet though. The first one is about a week in. The newest happend withing the past day. Im excited. I think there may be be a problem with the first holding female though. She doesnt look like she's holding, but still acts like it; doesnt eat, pushes away other females, sometimes fighting with them, and she pretty much hangs out by herself. she is still very active though, doesnt seem sick at all. the only thing that really strikes me as odd though, is it looks like her face is beat up. the area around her lips is white, whiter than usual. I think it could be from fighting with the other females, but I hope it isnt from anything else. After looking at all the fish though, they all have a little white in their lips anyways, just this female more than the others. Pics arent the best, but they arent that bad, heres a few...

new holding female!

a little blurry this time

sub male doing his thing

the first holding female. you can see where her lips look beat up, and her top fin at the front a little. is she ok?

thanks for looking, any help on the older female would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Yeah she will be ok. She definately is holding to :thumb:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm not certain that the 2nd one is still holding.

The marks on her mouth/lips look like she may have been involved in a lip locking contest with other fish, or she may have been eating algae off the rocks and glass.

If she's been doing either of those things since the spawn, she may not be holding anymore.

If she isn't eating, you are going to need to determine what's going on with her.

There's always a chance she could be holding a very small amount, but I don't really see any enlargement at all to the buccal cavity. It isn't unusual for first time moms to spit or swallow eggs/fry, or to get rid of the majority of them and only hold a few.

Kim

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She has done the lip lock thing with one of the other females this past week. i think she still has a few in there though. i've been watchin her, and every now and then, i see her move her jaw around like she did when i knew she has eggs in there. its been just over a week, i believe they may be fry by now. she still acts as healthy as always, besides not eating. and i can tell she wants to eat, but she doesnt. actually, she has been scraping a little algae off the heater from time to time, maybe thats enough. thanks for the replys, ill keep an eye on her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.