Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a 29h tank yesterday. I got 30 pounds of sand for the tank, one 25 pound bag and one 5 pound bag that were 2 different brands. The sand from the 5 pound bag didnt really mix with the other, and is sitting on top of the other sand. It kind of looks like its floating just above the other sand. I tryed mixing it up on the bottom and all the sand from the the 5 pound bag will float up and then sink back down. Do you think this is a problem for the tank, anyone heard of something like this and know how to fix it?

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is why mixing two different types of sands (especially different grades (size)) typically doesn't work very well. All of the larger grains of sand will end up at the bottom, and the finer stuff will work it's way to the top.

If the 25lb bag was enough to cover the bottom of your tank with an inch or two of sand, I would let the finer stuff make it's way back to the top and siphon/vacuum it out.

Or, if you want to keep both sands in the tank you'll have to keep mixing them back together every now and then.

The only problem that I can think of is with your filters. If you're using a HOB filter, you might consider putting a pre-filter sponge over the intake so sand doesn't get pulled into your impeller. That will give you a headache. Raising the intake so it's 6+ inches off the top of the sand would also work, but sand may still find it's way into the impeller housing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea thats what i was thinking, just siphoning off the top cause its just sitting on top..o well i guess thats what i get for trying to save $5 bucks, shoulda just got the 50 pound bag...i guess i should shut the filter off too?

·
Registered
361 Posts
HOB filter = Hang On Back, also called a Power Filter. Your Penguin 150B is a HOB filter. I can tell you from experience that when you get sand into the impeller housing a Penguin, it causes a ruckus. Everything I tried didn't work, even putting vaseline around the impeller. I ended up having to buy a new impeller (thankfully they aren't expensive).

You don't have to shut the filter off... unless you're cleaning the tank. Then you'll want to shut it off, do your cleaning, let the sand settle, then turn it back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.