Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lined up a new 125 gallon oak stand and canopy for 250 bucks. I plan on stocking it with frontosas. Trying to figure out what kind to use because it will be my show tank in the dinning room. I can get nangus, Blue Mpimwe, or Bulus. Trying to decide what would look best. Im also trying to figure out what other tangs would work will with the frontosas. I was leaning toward some calvus or comps. Any other suggestions as to what other kind of tangs could work well with them. Also what is a good number of fronts for in a tank this size. I was thinking at least 6

·
2,088 Posts
Unfortunately only you can answer what will look "best". Pick the variant YOU like, and get about 8-10 juveniles, and plan to cull males as they mature, to end up with 1-2 M 3-5 F.

Calvus and Comps work fine as tankmates. Do a search on Frontosa and tankmates, and you will find a lot of stories of people coming home to missing fish. Even after long periods of it "working", sometimes Fronts will eat tankmates.

As for filtration, I don't subscribe to any rules of thumb about water turnover, as much as I look at the quality of the water. That said, I have a 180 with a large sump running a Mag 18 wide open. If your water change regimen is good, and the tank water quality is consistent, you probably have enough filtration. More is better to a point though, as it leaves more room for error or the occasional lapse in water change frequency.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I know I keep going back in fourth on which variant I want. I'm leaning towards getting the blue mpimwes. I like what I've heard about them not being very shy. Seeing I don't want my fish getting eaten the fronts I can get are about 2.5 inches. I can get comp/calvus that are the same size or I can get bigger ones. I'm figuring on getting the larger ones since they are slow growing. I'm pretty good about doing a water change every week. Ill post some pictures of it this weekend when its all set up and cycling. I cant believe how nice looking it is for the price I got it for. Now just got to set it up nice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
6 Mpimbwe would be nice depending on size 4-6 inches with caves and either calvus or comps will work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up picking up 12 2 1/2 inch Mpimbwes today. Got them in another holding tank for the time being Ill have everything up and running in the next couple days. I'm rinsing sand as we speak. Picking the tank up in the morning. Going to use sponges from my other tanks and I should be good to go real soon.

·
2,088 Posts
congrats on the Fronts!

post pics when you can

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.