Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new fish that is two to three times the size of anyone else in the tank. Though he was exceptionally shy the first two days he is now swimming around the tank like any healthy fish. However, every time I approach the tank he hides in the back of the tank. So when I feed the fish he stays away from the area I'm putting the food in. I tried sneaking the food in from an angle that he can't see me from but that hasn't worked. I've tryied dropping food in the back of the tank near him but that hasn't worked. I've tried flakes to see if that going everywhere will allow him to eat anywhere he is hanging out... no go.

He looks very healthy and is swimming normally. I'm guessing he will eat when he is hungry, right???

Thoughts???

-Ari

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone help me!!?!?! I'm getting quite concerned. Still not eating after day 5 but he still looks good behavior and looks wise.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
fish hide from bigger fish, and most likely, your shadow is the biggest 'hostile' he has had to deal with in a long time. bottom line...big fish can go for weeks without eating, if the only other option is to risk being eaten. dim the lights, create a schedule for all activities, and your new fish should acclimate soon. HTH.
what kind of fish is this? and what types of fish is it sharing space with?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts