Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried posting this on the illness page but no one responded to my plea for help.

The new fish has been in the tank for the past 5 days but has not eatten yet. He looks healthy and is swimming around fine. He is two to three times the size as any other fish but is very shy. It is a Furtosis (spelling?) and the rest of the fish include a bunch of Zebras, Electric Blues and others. The tank has a lot of fish in it. He is not being chased by any other fish.

What's going on and what I do?

Thanks!

-Ari

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldnt worry to much if he is healthy he could be eating at night off the bottom and fish can go for at least a week if not more without eating, something might be chasing him at night though and stressing him out, try watching the tank at night to see if nothings stressing him he should be fine.Pat :)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Try racking your brain over a fish that hasn't eaten since you bought it back in February!
I might not feel so helpless if it were carnivorous and I was able to offer it live foods from time to time but one of the more "herbivorous" species right from the lake... :x

As for your fish, I believe the name you might be looking for is frontosa.
If so, I believe they can be a bit shy and take some time to adjust. Give it a few more days. After a while it should be able to take cue from its tankmates what food to accept and when to look for it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. Last night I tried frozen brine shrimp and he ate a little for the first time that I could observe. The only thing is when I put the shrimp in the water all the other fish gobble it up so there is not too much time for this fish to eat much.

-Ari

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm not sure what you're feeding, but when I have a new fish who is reluctant to dive after the sinking pellets I usually feed, I switch to flake food and make sure it's floating all over the tank, so the new guy can get a few pieces without competition.

·
Registered
56 Posts
And if it is a frontosa he/she might like to eat from the bottom of the tank. I have one that waits until the food is floating down before it will eat. He almost never goes to the top for his meal. Also they love frozen brine shrimp! Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.