Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bored with my yellow lab tank so I've reverted back to my impulsive stage, I'm trying to get some more color and action in the tank. I picked up a few juvie mbuna today. I got 1 male Labidochromis sp. Hongi, 1 Ps. polit (was told it was a male), and 1 sold as Cynotilapia sp. not sure what variant though... I'll post a pic to see if anyone can help me identify it. Right now it is all ice blue, however when I picked it out there was definite dark barring.

A couple pics of unknown mbuna...

L. Hongi

Ps. polit

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like your Hongi. I had 5 juvies growing out with 8 ngara white tails. The Hongi killed 3 ngara and 2 of themselves. I cannot believe the havok theyy caused in a 55 while still being very small.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I think you are correct on the blue one. The tank I got it out of did say "cobalt blue" (among other names) on it, but the guy said cynotilapia, he is pretty knowledgable.

Yeah the Hongi is cool, my favorite at the moment. I can't wait to see the polit color up, assuming the Hongi dosen't kill it first.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
My male hongi is normally in the middle of most tank disputes! He's normally more solid and blue than yours, but when he's jacked up, he's light purple with black bars. One of my favorites also.

The females are the ugliest fish in the tank, though!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hard to say from that pic if your polit is a male or not. Watch and see if it ever displays a mask on its face. If so you have a male.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Fogelhund said:
Chances are your blue fish is a Metriaclima callainos, aka cobalt blue.
Yes, if this fish stays blue all the time with only slight shade changes, it is a Cobalt Zebra.

Cobalt Blue Zebra stays blue from a juvenile age, and is more than a 1000 times more common than the other fish mentioned.

·
Registered
554 Posts
if it had definite dark barring when the poster picked it up, it might be a mixture of cobalt blue with something. As far as I know, the worst cobalts ever get in terms of stripeyness is a vague hint of stripe when they're really freaked out (like when they're being chased by a net).

·
Registered
50 Posts
What size is the Hongi?
Reason being is that I recently got a juvenile and Im wondering when he will start to look as good as that one! :thumb:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dotbomb said:
Hard to say from that pic if your polit is a male or not. Watch and see if it ever displays a mask on its face. If so you have a male.
I think I can see a mask sometimes, but it is pretty faint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.