Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added some red finned tinfoil barbs to my tank.They are a great addition.They get along very well with my cichlids and rainbow shark.I recommend them to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
jdgambler111 said:
I just added some red finned tinfoil barbs to my tank.They are a great addition.They get along very well with my cichlids and rainbow shark.I recommend them to you.
If you "just added them" how do you know that they get along very well and recommend them for us? Now if you have been keeping them for a year or two that would be different :?

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
You are right, large barbs can get often get along fine with African cichlids, and make decent dither fish.

.... but Tin Foil Barbs get HUGE. Unless you have a really huge tank you may not want the Tin Foils taking all the bio load of the filter, the cichlids will suffer. I'd rather keep cichlids instead.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What size tank is this?

What is your full stock list?

Did you need dither fish? (Even the rainbow shark might not be a suitable tank mate once your cichlids mature...)

Kim

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are dither fish,fish that are not cichlids?If they are then yes I do like to have a variety.my tank is 125 gall.I have 4 afra edwardi,4 ice blue,3 kenyi,4 melanochromis auratus,4 tinfoil barbs,4 rosey barbs,1 rainbow shark,2 catfish,1 smallmouth,and several snails.thanks for any replys

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Dither fish are fish that you use in an effort to make your "main" species more comfortable with their surroundings.

The barbs and shark may not fare well in this tank as your cichlids mature and the aggression sets in. Those are some of the more aggressive species of cichlids that you have, and they aren't overly tolerant of other fish once they reach maturity.

Kim

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks kim.Do you think I could add another species to the tank?I really like pseudotrophes socolofi.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I wouldn't add another species, I would increase the group sizes of the species you already have. :thumb:

You'll stand better chances of long term success by making each group larger.

Odds are you are going to want to make some changes down the line, most likely with the auratus and kenyi, so you could add the socolofi later if you remove a group.

Kim

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think i only have female auratus.I might keep it that way i've heard the males are really mean

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
My auratus (I had 3 of them) all looked female and didn't cause any problems for close to a year. I've heard that females can get just as mean as the males can. The same for the kenyi, they can get real mean too. It's a help that you have such a big tank but that can only help so much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts