Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just recently gotten these new Acei and they were introduced in my tank about 24 hours ago. Since they were put in one of the 3 has been up at the surface hiding behind the plants. If I drop some food back by him he will eat some but will not come up with the crowd to feed like the rest.

Should I be concerned since it has only been 1 day or should I give him more time to adjust to the new tank and surroundings?

Thanks in advance, Ben

He is only about 1.5 inches if it matters, and havent really noticed much for aggression towards him at all.

·
Registered
350 Posts
when introduce new fish to your tank. you should rearrange half the rock work in tank if there are fish in there before the Acei. that way the acei wont get bullyed. i would keep a close on that fish. it seem very stressed out only stressed fish hide in the corner or behind the filters also close to the surface. if the yellow and dem. are in there before the Acei then that spell trouble. the best way now is to rearrange the rocks work and plants asap. when stocking always started out with the least aggressive fish or introduce them all at the same time. so the yellow labs and acei then the dem. that the order i will go with or all at the same time. my 12 ruby red juv. are only 1.25" and they are chasing each other with no really threat but i know i will have to remove some out very soon and they are in a 55 gallon grow out tank.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was trying to get these Acei for months now. I ordered some and they never came in. LFS told me they were putting them on the order but they didnt come ever, so I kinda forgot about it, then about 2.5 months later I get a call. Your Acei are here. So being excited and since they were ordered just for me I was kinda forced to go get them, fortunately they did QT them for me since I wasnt ready at all for them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
rearrange your rocks and plants that will decrease the stress caused. when you rearrange your tank decor. the yellow labs and dem. will have reclaim terr. n also give the acei a chance to claim some terr. too. best to do at night with tank off and have someone hold a flashlight so you don't kill your fish awhile rearranging the tank. when the light come on in the morning it a new scene and all fish will have to readjust lol. which is good for the acei.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Getting used to their new house, it can take a week or two usually. As long as they're eating and not showing any physical abnormalities, they should be fine.
I agree that rearranging rocks to force fish into establishing new territories works well prior to adding new fish, at this point however, it's likely only going to cause additional stress.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This may or may not be a solution for you. but when I add fish I usually do it in groups.
I always turn out the lights, cover the tank with blankets, and keep it dark for 4-6 hours.
It seems that when the lights come back on the "old" fish don't even recognize the "new" fish and they assume that they have been in the tank all along.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I just rearranged all the rocks, plants and driftwood in my tank.

Here is the before shot.....

Here is what it looks like now....

The rocks stretch almost all the way across the back and about 5 inches from the top. Only taking up about half of the tank floor. Was like a jigsaw puzzle getting them all to stand up and be sturdy.

Hope between this and some time it will help.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If your fish are like mine (they have gills and fins) I have a hunch they'll stick to the same left to right areas no matter what rock is there.

I just removed all rocks, drained half the tank, caught and stripped some females, added 5 new fish (petrotilapia's are already challenging polits for back of the tank dominance and they are about 70% the size of the polits!), moved the rocks around substantially and all my fish are pretty much sticking to the same zones in the tank.

So I'd say sometimes it works... for me it doesn't seem to matter. But then again I added a pretty aggressive fish.

Give the newbie some time. I'm sure he'll fit in just fine. He's probably just enjoying some solace after being cooped up with those guys in a small space for too long before finally getting relief from having some other fish all up in his personal space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.