Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thanks to RMC here in Colorado I just picked up some new fish. Bob let me pick them out my self so I tried to get good male to female ratio's. So hopefully I will get what I wanted. :popcorn:

I will get better pics when they settle in, and you can actually see the brevis :lol:
I'm just to excited I had to post something.

10 F1 Cyathopharynx foai "Mbita" (2m/8f) Still small but i'm pretty confident in the ratio.

5 F1 Callochromis macrops "ndole bay" (2m/3f) Positive on the ratio :thumb:

1 pair of Lamprologus brevis "kitumba" male is wild female is F1

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
This is one of those mbuna-keepers-being-clueless-about-Tangs questions, but I think I'm typically good about understanding that Tang behavior is what makes them alluring... So what's alluring about the Callos? I don't mean this in a "why would you ever get that fish?" way, I just mean what's their behavior like, etc.?
:thumb:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
This is one of those mbuna-keepers-being-clueless-about-Tangs questions, but I think I'm typically good about understanding that Tang behavior is what makes them alluring... So what's alluring about the Callos? I don't mean this in a "why would you ever get that fish?" way, I just mean what's their behavior like, etc.?
:thumb:
I guess people like them cuz they are similar to larger feather fins but stay pretty small.
You just need to buy some to see why people like them.
Here's a video i found of the ones I got today
This species I got today I think is the largest species of callo's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3xeFfwF ... re=related

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I love callochromis, but can't keep the dominant male from killing the rest off one by one. I've got hiding places all over the tank, but he can be relentless. I've got the smaller ones too, melanostigma. I had read they were like this and they weren't lying. Psychotic fish. I'm not one to shy away from fish, but I'd not keep them again. Macrops are the largest and supposedly one of the more difficult to keep. I'll be interested to see how yours are aggression wise. After seeing the smaller ones, I wouldn't keep macrops in anything less than an 8 footer, if at all. And then expect only one male to survive. My smaller ones are in a six footer and no way the dominant male would tolerate another male. Maybe I just haven't figured these guys out yet. I was watching them just now, and he's got one female he's letting pal around with him and hang by his spawning pit. He's not displaying, they're just hanging out. But then he saw another female poke her head out of a rock pile at the other end of the tank and he chased her back in and around a bit. Interesting fish. He's building up his pit now. Maybe he senses she'll be willing when he's ready. We'll see if she's holding tomorrow. It's a shame because they're one of my favorites and he's one of the nicest looking fish that I have. It's a rough tank that's turning into a tank of singletons little by little.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
prov the trick I have found with callo's are to jam pack them with other fish. I kept macrop from other locations in tanks as small as a 4' 55G. These guys will be going in a 125G 6' tank for now. I hope both males do ok with each other but we will see.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Furcifer158 said:
prov the trick I have found with callo's are to jam pack them with other fish. I kept macrop from other locations in tanks as small as a 4' 55G. These guys will be going in a 125G 6' tank for now. I hope both males do ok with each other but we will see.
They are, they ignore the other fish. They're not even kings of the tank. How long did you keep them in a 55? Did you grow them out full size? What were the tank mates, m/f ratio? If you can do macrops in a 6 footer, I'd like to know the secrets because that's one I'd like to keep one day. I just see carnage every time I picture it in my mind. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
I have stappersi and they are as sweet as can be. Does this aggression occur at maturity? And how long does that take?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
DJRansome said:
I have stappersi and they are as sweet as can be. Does this aggression occur at maturity? And how long does that take?
Mine started at maturity, but got worse as time went on. I went back and found a video from March 2010 of the male colored up and chasing all away from his pit. So, I'd had them four months. Three males did ok for several months as I found another video from Oct 2010 showing all of them. He's since killed off at least one of those males. If the other is still alive, he's made himself scarce. It's been a gradual thing. It wasn't like one day he was going around killing tankmates. Things would be fine for a while, then one day I'd find another body.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Prov, don't bash me for overcrowding :lol: I kept melanostigma in the 55 for about two and a half years. I did buy them as juveniles and grew them out in the tank. I had 15 of them 7 males and 8 females. There was only ever one male fully colored at a time. The tank mates were 16 wild caught tropheus moops. 4m/12f I added them when the callo's started to get aggressive towards each other. I never lost a single fish in this tank. I just had to keep up on the water changes.

I know this was way way way over crowded but it was when I was still ignorant to fish and was just buying fish all the time when I had no room for them :D

I'm not planning with these guys to really overcrowd to much but I can't decide if I want to put them in my 125G or the 220G

What woul dyou put them in the 7' 220G or the 6' 125G

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
What woul dyou put them in the 7' 220G or the 6' 125G
I'm not a basher. :) We've all done things, haven't we? :D Hard for me to say on tank size because you've had more success that I have. You've got much lower numbers now though. With mine, it doesn't seem to matter how many tankmates as he zeros in on his own kind. He'll get pushed around by my big male ctenochromis and the n. toae's on his way to chase a female. Then get pushed around by them on his way back. Plenty of tankmates as distractions is probably key, but then will they spawn? Did yours spawn in the 55?

Here was my setup for them initially. I've since moved all plants to the right to thicken them up and added more rocks on the left in the space vacated by the plants. Not sure what else I can do for hiding places.

My callo females definitely seem to prefer the plants to hide in, but may be because the rock dweller chase them out of the rocks. I started out with 6 ctenochromis, 6 n. toae, and about a dozen or so callochromis. My stock list now:

n. toae (4, sex unknown)
c. horei (1m/1f, the male brutalized the other 4, it wasn't pretty, he's pretty psychotic himself)
c. melanostigma (5-6?)
n. buescheri (1)
t. temporalis (1)
n. pulcher (2)

It's a tough tank, and has become my misfit, oddball tank as well.

If I was going to do macrops, I think I'd go with your first strategy. Plenty of macrops and only one male, so maybe 1m/12-15f. Not let him zero in on one. Then lots of tankmates to provide even more distrations. Many choices on that one. But, like I said, I haven't figured out the correct strategy for success. I started with 12 callos and plenty of tankmates and hiding spots and hasn't work real well. Maybe that female will be holding when I get home. I'm tempted to strip her, and try to raise a new larger group.

I'm going to mark this thread and keep an eye on it, as I'm really curious to see how they do for you. I love callochromis, and macrops has been on my wish list for a long time.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They did breed for me all the time in the 55. about every two to three weeks I had a female holding.

I know I only got five this time, I spent more on the foai :thumb: , so who knows how this will go.

Right now there doing great in a 40B tank with 23 A. koningji, not sure how to spell that, 6 Alto gold heads malasa island, and the pair of brevis I got at the same time.
The 2 males are already starting to color up a bit in the first day.
I'm sure they won't last two long in here but maybe I can try to get a few more before RMC sell's out.

This is my fourth species of callo's and I have had success with the other three, so I really hope they go good as well.

Since they breed at a very early age i'm hoping to get this group expanding before tension rises in the tank.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
Ah, hadn't seen how pretty the males could get through the profile pictures - the male in that video is beautiful.
Ya most of the pictures online do not do this species any justice.
I'm glad I found that video.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
DJRansome said:
Stappersi are gental in comparison to all the other callochromis.

Macrops are the meanest.

I kept callochromis for years without issue. Keep them in numbers and crowded. They pretty much ignore other tank mates but will spawn with tank mates. In a four footer I'd go with about 15 of them.... in a 6 footer. 20+ Plants or rocks that go to the surface will help with aggession.

Stunning fish.... but I like Xenos better :p

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Longstocking said:
They are neat don't get me wrong.... I loved mine. If I had enough tanks I'd do both but Petrochromis get my big tanks :)
I think that will be my next adventure Petro's

I think they are probably one of the only kind of fish from the lake I have not kept.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts