Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some fish coming in today at 1030. 5 yellow labs (2 should be male) and 3 maingano (1 should be male) ill post pics when I get them!!

SnookMan88

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine just came in but I have no pictures yet. everything was happy and healthy though. They are already in my tank. The labs just ate some frozen brine shrimp and seem quite happy with it, the mainganos dont seem to like the brine shrimp too much, I saw one, maybe two, that were eating it while the others mouthed it then spit it. what does everyone else who own mainganos feed them?

SnookMan88

·
Registered
133 Posts
From what I remember reading, you should mostly feed mbuna vegetarian type foods. I guess excessive animal protein can cause bloat.

Herbivorous cichlids have long intestinal tracts, and therefore, it is quite common for them to have intestinal problems. This is especially true of Mbuna, whose digestional tracts are made for vegetable matter. They have long intestines (4x their body length) designed to extract the proteins and carbohydrates from the hard-to-digest algae. Cows and other ungulates use several stomachs to digest grass. Mbuna, on the other hand, do it with only one stomach and a very long intestine. For this reason, it is also a good idea to occassionally fast your fish -- give them a day off -- as this allows them to purge their intestines on a regular basis. Use caution when doing this because hungry Cichlids are aggressive cichlids.
Frozen food. Any food that is high in animal protein, such as krill, brine shrimp, daphnia, plankton, bloodworms, and micro-worms should be used sparingly. And for herbivorous fish, they should not be used at all. I've had poor luck using these and since discontinuing their conservative use, have practically abolished "Bloat" from all my aquariums in the past several years. I don't believe they are necessary to produce great color and healthy fish; however, I did notice more frequent spawns when I did use them.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... chlids.php

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mine have arrived as well. I am happy with the fish and so far they are floating in the new tank and appear to be healthy. In about 20-30 minutes I'll release them from the bags.

Hope everything works out on your end as well, So good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cannot figure out how to upload photos from flickr.... UGH

EDIT: I could not figure out how to post pics on my macbook pro... figured it out on the good old trusty compaq though!

SnookMan88

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the small cell phone pics, turns out the girlfriend took the camera this morning :lol:

The Tank

Mainganos

Labs

SnookMan88

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Please avoid mentioning specific vendor names in the forums. Posts edited. It would be great if you would post feedback in Reviews :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Mr.Mod, I was under the impression that site sponsors were exempt from that rule

1 - 9 of 9 Posts