Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I already have an established aquarium with bio wheels on my filter and I get a new filter with new bio wheels will it effect my water quality? Just not sure if I need cycled bio wheels or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thanks. :fish:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If i am understanding correctly you are purchasing a NEW filter?

IME you "MAY" get hit with a "mini cycle", so i recommend getting the "API Freshwater Master Kit" so you can measure your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels as the "MAY" go crazy.

There are a couple of ways to help make sure this doesn't happen.

1. Place old filter media in the new filter if it fits.
2. Get a cup/jar and drain the bio-wheel into the jar/cup so that all the liquids from the bio-wheel go into the cup/jar, then turn the NEW filter off and pore the liquid stuff on the new bio-wheel.
3. If u can let the New filter and the OLD filter run for 2 weeks at THE SAME TIME!!! So the NEW filter can build up good bacteria.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think the OP is adding a filter, not replacing a filter...therefore, as Fogelhund has indicated, there is no threat of a spike in NH3 or NO2.

·
Registered
424 Posts
agreed, If the new filter is an addition no problem. But if it is a replacement try to carry the load over with old media, as Alunocara_freak said. My biowheels have been transfered to 4 new emperors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts