Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a well established, overstocked 65 gallon all Mbuna tank. I have been running a wet/dry (sump) with overflow (bio) in tandem with an Aquaclear 70 (mech and chem) for the past 5 years. I am in the process of removing the sump and going to with 2 Seachem Tidal 110's.

I have already replaced the Aquaclear with one of the Tidals. I have two large bags of new ceramic rings in the Tidal and threw two more bags in the sump (to use with the other Tidal once installed). The new Tidal and sump have now been running together for a 2 full weeks.

I'm now just waiting to install the 2nd Tidal. The bio media in my sump is of a type that would not easily be transferred in sufficient quanity into the Tidal (if anyone has ever had a CPR wet/dry you now what I mean.)

So opinions...is two weeks long enough with my current setup for sufficient bacteria colonization with the new bio media? Or should a wait another week or two?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,651 Posts
I'd wait. I mean, is it possible to get the second Tidal up and running now? I mean, if you have the room to place that thing - somewhere - why not? The Mbuna certainly won't mind a little extra current. Heck man, maybe you could rig the 2'nd Tidal to somehow work right out of the sump or something? That way you could exchange filter media between both running Tidals, to enhance the speed of the colonization process.
-
If not, I would wait a couple more weeks and be a little annoyed with it. Than go too quick - and be sorry. :(
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top