Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I should be getting 4 ebjd's on tuesday. 2 of which i plan on keeping and for the other 2, i want to grow them out as much as possible and sell. but I have a few last minute questions. what should i feed them especially while they're young (1.5-2 inches)? any other last minute tips?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Regular flake food and good quality pellets. Clean wAter for theses guys is critical. Most ebjd under 3" are very fragile and they are more prone to disease. I started with 10 ebjd at around and inch and now have 5 left. The genetics from these guys are still weak but they have got a lot stronger due to breeding wc and regular jds in the line to strengthen the genetics. They are nearly impossible to sex unless you vent or if they spawn. Yeah people will tell you the fins are the way but that IME is not something to go all in with. What will you be keeping with the ebjd? What size tank?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
55 gallon, nothing else in the tank except for 4 tetras that i used to cycle the tank. I've been looking at hikari gold pellets and just crushing them up. I know they are good for them once they are older but I know they have weak genetics and didn't know if there were a certain diet that could increase their chances of survival. btw, i have very clean water.... i have an emp 400 and 280 going :thumb: :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Blanched peas for treats. Will help keep them unclogged. I feed peas every 3-4 weeks. The hikari pellets are good to keep them health. Nls pellets are the best imo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got them today... was like christmas. had to take out my tetras cuz they were bullying one of the smaller ones.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi paulwall,

Although high protein foods may help their growth rate, I believe it is best to stay away from high protein foods when young to reduce the chances of digestive diseases.

However, I cannot recall why I think this. I am not sure if I read something or received advice about it; it is just something I did with my EBJDs.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
184 Posts
I heard one way is to look at there gill plate and if it is a different shade of blue then the rest of the body its a male and the shade difference is a lot like pink to red. Female are the same shade all the way across.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
ClearMud said:
I heard one way is to look at there gill plate and if it is a different shade of blue then the rest of the body its a male and the shade difference is a lot like pink to red. Female are the same shade all the way across.
There is no way to really sex an ebjd unless they spawn. If that's what clearmud was referring too. Most ebjd will change shades of blue. Most of mine have turned purple at one point. Then they go to white/blue then all blue. The fins is a pretty good sign but like I said they are nearly impossible to sex unless they spawn.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
They look good. They also look like they are around 2". Nice find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so far so good over the past 2 weeks. Only issue so far is 2 of them are slightly larger and are bullying the other 2 over food so i'm afraid they're not eating enough (altho the smaller 2 really like flakes over the pellets that the other 2 devour) Is something I should be worried about or should I just keep feeding the smaller ones flakes?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Just take your flake and pellet and thro it in at the same time. Everyone should get enough food.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts