Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in 4 crenicichla wallacii yesterday. Actually still debating if they are true wallacii or cff. wallacii, but great little fish none the less. Little buggers at around 2". Would love hear what you think, DwarfPike.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Hard to tell on that last pic if the ring is red or orange, the colombian wallacii have orange rings.

After having ed buress track down the original descriptions of noto, wallacii, and nanus .... and a lengthy email conversation with Dr. Wayne Leibel, the colombians do indeed seem to be wallacii. Oliver Lucanus is the one the provided the first ID of the colombian form. My male did start to delevop the same color on the anal fin that the Guyana wallacii have (and the two other dwarves from Colombia don't have).

If the ring is red, they are most likely noto's or sp. orinoco dwarf.

Say goodbye t those neons once they get just a little more size. :D

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks dwarfpike. They are from colombia, and the rings are orange. I am new to dwarfs so I was wanting to make sure. I have had saxitalis group and still have lubrugris group pikes so I figure it is time to venture into dwarfs.

I already had the neons and put them in when I setup the tank to keep the bacteria going. If they disappear, who cares.

At what size did the females get their dorsal marking? These are from wet spot and they said all 100 pikes they had didn't show the dorsal spot. Hoping as they mature a little more I get some sign of a female. I have 4 so would like to get one girl out of the group.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Well that last pic deffinately has the spot, you can see it when you expand out the pic. Not sure about when they develop, all 4 species I've kept were all wild caught, and all adults so already had their fin markings when I got them. But I've read elsewhere that regani are sexable at 11 weeks old and breedable at 15 weeks. Not sure how that would compare to the other species though.

Heh, most downsize at some point. I've yet to keep a pike outside the wallacii group though. Never had tanks big enough sadly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts