Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recieved a lot of driftwood offline recently and I have began soaking them. Well after two days the water is very brown which I expected, but I didn't expect the wood to flake so much like lots of little peices were floating around. Is this normal? Some of the peices seem pretty soft, is that bad? How long do they need to soak before they sink. or stop turning the water brown with tannings?? BTW idk what kind of wood it is.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My experience with driftwood is limited to one piece that I have in a tank and a few that I have been leaving outside to age. However, none of those pieces have had any of the wood flake off. Only hardwoods are suitable for tanks because softwoods will supposedly, well ruin your water. Now, though you said some pieces seemed soft that doesn't mean that I can promise they are softwoods. It does seem strange to me though that wood would flake, could it perhaps be some bark or dirt coming off?

The library section has a good article on driftwood
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/driftwood.php

Some pieces never sink an dhave to be weighed down with something. Boiling the driftwood before using it a tank can remove a great deal of the tannins but the piece will continue to leech them out only at a slower rate.

I just thought about something. Since you purchased the driftwood through the internet it likely had to be shipped. Perhaps some of the pieces were fairly brittle and were broken up during shipping thus causing them to flake when put into water. I would still be careful though if they continue to flake and seem soft.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have driftwood in mine I boiled mine 3 times then I brushed it under running water then boiled it again.......never had stain water and PH problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts