Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share the excitement of my new additions - 16 demasoni fry (.5-1.5") in my 40g breeder. Stressed from the drive and not spectacularly colored at the moment, but once they relax a bit I'll shoot some photos and post them.

Already really neat to watch as they form little sub-groups, sometimes based on size, sometimes based on God-knows-what. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Enjoy! Mine actually schooled when I first got them, but you may not be seeing natural behavior as yet. And it took a couple of weeks to get the good colors, a little at a time.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine split their time between schooling, swimming directly into the outflow from the 2 HOBs, and grouping like I saw earlier. Already eating, too. :dancing:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're starting to get braver and braver - definitely hanging out on the rocks like you mentioned, Outcast. The largest 4-5 (these came from 3-4 different broods) are ~1.5" and their bars are still a bit pale - could be partially my lighting, but the rest have nearly jet black bars. I'm wondering if those ones came from a poor strain. Time will tell, I guess.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Dems will color in time. I always see the statement about them not being colored up and its usually by people new to demasoni. When I first got mine, they took a while to get consistent color. I have bred mine tons of times and have full grown dems in my tank that I raised from fry I stripped. They will color in time as they grow up. When they get comfortable and older, most likely ALL will show the deep blue and black coloration. In my 55g, all my dems have full coloration, with 2 males holding almost neon dominant coloration... Be patient and they will all color in time :)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
justinf67 said:
Dems will color in time. I always see the statement about them not being colored up and its usually by people new to demasoni. When I first got mine, they took a while to get consistent color. I have bred mine tons of times and have full grown dems in my tank that I raised from fry I stripped. They will color in time as they grow up. When they get comfortable and older, most likely ALL will show the deep blue and black coloration. In my 55g, all my dems have full coloration, with 2 males holding almost neon dominant coloration... Be patient and they will all color in time :)
Makes me feel better. I had heard a while back that they're supposed to show their adult colors as soon as they're "born," so I was a little nervous. I figured it was just a matter of patience.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
They do show adult colors at birth. But they also take time to acclimate to a tank. Not sure why.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: 6 new GORGEOUS yellow lab youngin's added to the tank. ~1.75" each. They're a lot less shy than the demasoni and are doing good work as dithers, already.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally some pictures... They're all settled in now. I'm half-waiting-expectantly to see a female holding soon.

Rock pile on the left will eventually have a bit more of a vertical element to it. There will be a third rock pile in the middle, towards the front of the tank, slightly smaller than the one on the left.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Very cute, you must have just fed them. :lol:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They're definitely a bit fat. I was porking them up the first 2 weeks I had them to get them a bit more comfortable with seeing me. This week begins the cutback to normal portions.

1st day?! Man, mine took at least 10 to start showing some nice colors.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Those are awesome looking fish. I'm in OC so I'm wondering how you found a breeder. LFS are seem to be a total bust around here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.