Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND HAVE LOTS OF THINGS TO ASK ABOUT CICHILDS.I AM EAGERLY WAITING FOR MY NEW 7 X 2 X 2 TANK.I CAN THINK OF NOTHING ELSE AT THE MOMENT.I CURRENTLY HAVE A 4 FOOT TANK CONTAINING A YOUNG PAIR OF CONVICTS , 4 YOUNG FIREMOUTHS, A 2 INCH JACK DEMPSEY AND A 2 INCH TEXAS CICHLID. AT THE MOMENT THEY ALL GET ON OK EXCEPT THE CONVICTS ARE SPAWNING SO THEY ARE A LITTLE AGRESSIVE.I PLAN TO MOVE ALL THESE TO MY NEW 7 FOOT TANK IN THE NEXT 2 MOUNTHS. DO YOU THINK THEY WILL BE OK IN THIS TANK AS THEY GROW ,AND COULD I ADD ANY MORE CICHLIDS. THE TANK WILL CONTAIN LOTS OF CAVES AND ROCKS.I WOULD LOVE TO ADD A SYNISPILYN(PROBABLY SPELT THAT WRONG) AND MORE FIREMOUTHS,I ALWAYS THINK THEY LOOK MORE NATURAL IN GROUPS.WHAT DO YOU THINK I WILL BE VERY GRATEFULL FOR ANY ADVICE

·
Banned
7 Posts
Hello guyss..Fish always appear hungry, feeding them too often causes all sorts or problems, and not only directly to the fish, overfeeding can also effect the water quality.

------------------------
Fish Tanks

·
Banned
29 Posts
Your excitement is well founded, and enjoyable to see :) the new tank is what a 150?? the only real problem i can see in your future is with the South Americans, Dempsy, and Texas in particular, in my experience may start to battle some as they get bigger, both of those are no lightweights :)

I hope you have lots of enjoyment from your new tank, just be sure to add lots of rockwork, and other line of sight breaks to help hold down the scuffles, and dont overload your new system too much until it has had time to cycle properly :)

·
Banned
29 Posts
luspin said:
Hello guyss..Fish always appear hungry, feeding them too often causes all sorts or problems, and not only directly to the fish, overfeeding can also effect the water quality.

------------------------
Fish Tanks
Very true all luspin, but is this in reply to the original posters questions??? you lost me :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice,but what do you think about the firemouths can i have a descent sized group say about 8 or is this just to much for my 7 x 2 x2 or maybe a group of nicaraguan cichlids i know they get bigger but are they more peacefull? :-?

·
Registered
308 Posts
i woulld say no on 8 fm's because that just seems a little crowded and they dont always like fish of the same type. 4 fm's should be ok but i u might have to watch out if they start pairing. you have great stock right now and u shouldnt have any problems. how many nics were u planning on getting.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think your idea is on track, but a little in the wrong direction. I would add the cons, jack, and texas, plus all four of the fm's for now. Once the fire mouths pair off, remove the other two. As for nics being less aggressive then the FM's, i thingk they are equal imo. Although i have seen some aggro nics. If you like them though just add a few gt a pair or simply keep the fish you like best single in there. if you have your heart set on a larger population of one type of fish then i can think of nothing more suited to this then the good old rainbow cichlid. Give them a look if you haven't already. You could do a group or 8 with no problem in your tank. I've personally had up to 6 i a 55gallon before with little issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help.i have just looked in my tank and noticed my pair of convicts have about a hundred little fry.they are wriggling around some oak leafs i added to create a naturel feel,and if they stray off one of the adult convicts are picking them up and spitting them back under the oak leaf.Its bloody great to watch.I sometimes think that some of the so called common or easy to keep cichlids are over looked and are just as interesting inhabitants for any cichlid keepers tank.but thats just my opinion.what should i do now, none of the other fish are getting near the convicts they are chased away but not harassed.Can i leave the convicts to it and expect any of the fry to survive ? the tank is very well furnished with rocks and wood and the substrate is half covered with leaf,there are plenty of nooks and crannies and hide aways.what do you think?also i will do some research on the rainbow cichlids,will they be ok with larger fish like my texas cichlid? :fish:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and to answer cichlid kid96, I dont know how many nics i would add how many do you think would be ok? Realy i am just after suggestions for my new 7 x 2 x 2 foot tank .i love the idea of a very naturel biotope setting and i also love my texas cichlid and my firemouths,the conivcts i may leave in the other 4 foot tank with my jd . I cant seem to make up my mind what i want its to hard when there are so many interesting cichlids to choose from. but i think i am trying to aim for a biotope of centrel american fish aimed around my texas cichlid and/or my firemouths.i also like busey tanks,any suggestions are eagerly awaited.cheers 8)

·
Registered
173 Posts
If your going to keep the 2 tanks I would keep the convicts in there and move the rest to the 7 ft tank. I am fan of under stocking a tank with good decorations. I have a 6ft 220. with all baby fish and love the fact they have tons of room. With that said if your texas and Jd are ok right now and able to offer plenty of room keep them in the 7ft tank with the firemouths. All great fish and get to be a nice size.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If the texas is going to be the center piece of the 7 footer, then i would go with one nic. This is because a breeding pair of nics would be far too rough on a tex. If you go with the firemouths as the center piece then a pair of nics would be great and interresting,IMO. As for leaving all but the tex in the smaller tank, i don't think this will last long. as the cons grow, they will become more of a threat to the other inhabitants of the tank. if you want to leave the cons in the smaller tank, then i would jst add some sword tails as dithers and move the others to the big tank.

to answer your question about the fry surviving in the tank, some will last a long time. Most will be eaten by th other fish. Jacks love baby cons, and when the parents breed again they will more than likely stop watching these babies to focus on the new batch. I don't know the market for cons in england, but in the states it's better to use them as feeders. Everyone breeds them but not too many get sold and lfs will not even give credit on them most of the time.

Sounds like you've got your hands full, so good luck and keep us updated on the progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you for your tips.i was also wondering about catfish or a scavenger of some sort,cant seem to find any from centrel america,also tetras are there any from these parts, apart from blind cave fish?or are there any other fish that shoal from centrel america apart from livebearers that are suitable for a ca community

·
Registered
308 Posts
What kind of texas are u talking about my texas has already killed 4 of its tankmates so unless ur not talking about a real texas cichlid herichthys cyanoguttatus then it should definitely hold its own I've never owned a fish meaner then my 6" texas cichlid and I've owned a red devil and a breeding pair of convicts. Actually my texas beat the **** out of my convicts and kicked them out of their breeding spot when he was only 4". Now if your talking about herichthys carpintis then yes u might have some problems but I think even they could hold their own because mine is doing fine with my texas but u have to take into consideration all fish have different personalities. One fish of the same species may survive and the other might not

·
Registered
308 Posts
O and for the question about dithers and a catfish. The only thing I have got to survive in my tank is giant danios and for the catfish u could probably do a bumblebee cat they don't get way too big and the definitely do their job

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks again for your feedback.my tex is a carpintis, he is about 3 inches long.generaly he is quite well behaved but has started chasing my jd a bit . I bought a synodontis catfish the weekend and he has settled in nicely but i would quite like a couple of bumble bee cats too.my convict pair have eaten their young.they are really starting to get nasty to the other tank mates,the man at the local fish shop advised me to get rid of them.he said they cause to much trouble.i told him about my plans for my 7 foot tank, and he suggested keeping my tex and 4 fire mouths and add a couple more large single cichlids and to see how things turn out with the jd and tex situation. what 2 other large cichlids would you recomend.i love synispilins and i like midas cichlids too will these work if not what will thanks again for your replys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts