Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm looking for advise on setting up an african cichlid tank. I've had difficulty finding answers on other forums, and have found conflicting information during my research. I have some experience with SA/CA/New World Cichlids, but am completely new to African Cichlids, so I'm looking for all the help I can get.

The tank I have access to is a 46 gallon I believe. 36x15x20. Is it plausible to have an african setup in this tank? Which cichlids would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
It's small for Malawi...are you thinking about Tanganyikans? Or what type of Africans caught your eye?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly the ones that initially got me interested were the yellow lab cichlids, Labidochromis caeruleus. I understand with them getting up to about 5 inches, that they are a bit large for this. I also enjoy the pseudotropheus saulosi and demasoni. I've been researching Lake Tanginyika cichlids lately, and there are several interesting ones there as well, including the shellies. Honestly, there are so many beautiful and fascinating specimens that I'm not being too picky! Lol

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Pseudotropheus saulosi would work as a species tank in a 36" tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Thanks so much! It's on pause at the moment though, because I may have found myself a 75 gallon XD.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
What is XD?

The rectangle shapes work best...gallons are not as important. For max options you want 48x18 and not bowfront corner or hex.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
XD is a smiley... lol Anyway, I'm not sure about dimensions yet. It's a tank my sister has in her storage unit. I'll have to wait for her to dig it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts