Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay the store near me just got a bunch of FM's about a week ago so I bought one. It's a juvenile but I can't tell whether it's male or female. I have it currently in a 10g quarantine tank but plan to move it to a 29g that has no other fish in it. I was wondering if the 29g would be big enough to hold 2 FM's or should I just stick with that one? Also, if it will hold 2, should I go ahead and get the other one right now or wait until this one is out of quarantine and in the 29? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks, Mike

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mike, a 29g would be a bit cramped for two firemouths long term, but as juveniles it would work for a while. For a single fish it would be ok for life.

If you want two, then you'd better shoot for a breeding pair, because like I said, it's a bit cramped. Two males would certainly fight, and I'm even inclined to say that two females might fight once they get larger.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
i breeding pair will be OK in there, of course, it is far from ideal.

it all comes down to personal opinions for a 6" fish in a 29g, everyone will have there own thoughts, i personally would look for something a little smaller, as my firemouths seemed cramped in a 35g, but could just be me.

id say if you really like them, do it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A29g is fine for a single pair of Firemouths, but not much else. I've bred them in 29g tanks and all was well , but they don't tolerate anything else in "their" tank which is what a tank that size will become. Bigger is better, but a 29 is fine just be sure to keep up a good water change routine and you'll be fine. :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it would help if I knew if it was male or female. Then, if I was sure I was getting one of the opposite sex two might work. Unless I could tell that for sure I wouldn't want to try it. I wouldn't want two fish that size not getting along in a 29g. Maybe my next cichlids should be some sort of rams or apistos. Of course, I'm always dreaming of finding a bigger tank.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams are both stunning fish. Nothing to sneeze at. A pair would fit in a 29g and would allow for some small non-cichlid tankmates.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
If you get 6 or 7 firemouths at a young age - roughly 1" or so - and let them grow out with a lot of decorations piled into the tank then you can likely get a pair to form and remove the others.

Unfortunately sexing firemouths is a pretty tough thing to do, even for some one with a lot of experience. It's really best to buy a few small ones and wait for a pair to form at a young age, then remove the others.

Personally I'd say that while your firemouth pair won't thrive in a 29 gallon they will survive and breed, and make for an interesting tank. Ideally I'd put them in a 40 gallon in the future as they grow up, though. But that's 12 months or so down the line if you get them at that size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts