Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I thought i might join your fantastic forum. I just recently started a 29 gal tank with a few Thorichthys meeki hoping to get a pair. I have never kept cichlids before and was blown away by their personality compared to every other fresh water fish. I am addicted like a chinaman in an opium den. Lets hope I don't end up needing an intervention.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My girlfriend and I took up the hobby about 6 months ago. I guess I have an advantage there. I hear alot of talk of people worrying what their spouse will think of their new tank. :thumb:

I bought 4 firemouths. I have an aquaclear HOB filter. I have a large rock/cave that divides the bottom of the tank in half. I just switched to a 300 watt heater because I keep my place pretty **** cold at night and when I am at work. The 'correct sized' heater could not keep the tank warm. There are alot of differing opinions on food so i just have been feeding a generic omnivore flake food until I learn more.

·
Registered
226 Posts
to many fish be bold tanks are cheep in news paper etc ... i satrted out with one 55 now have 14 tanks lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm keeping the tank around 82. I will look around for that food.

I do plan on upgrading tank wise sometime. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot you can have in a 29 gal. I just did not want to spend a small fortune on something I might not like.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Ok, you can easily lower that temp to 76. My thorichthys spawn at 75* If you happen to get a pair they can live in the 29 long term, of course something larger would be better but a 29 is fine... You will have to remove the two cast offs once a pair forms or the pair will likely try and kill the other two. If the foot print of the tank was three times larger they'd all be fine together...

As for food, any quality cichlid pellet will be fine. Tetras cichlid sticks is what I used to feed when a 6 pound can would last six months... but once it only started lasting a month I had to find a cheaper alternative...

Just to reiderate, 82* is too hot for these guys, they will be much happier in a cooler situation. Sometimes when collected from the wild the water is much cooler than 75*.

Do you have any pictures?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.