Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up these fish at an auction on sunday, The Lepidiolamprologus Hequi and Ectodus Decampsii are breeding size adult fish, The Lamprologus Callipterus are still small at 1.5-2 in. All of these are F1's from reputable breeders. I'm super exited, as I have been looking for these two shell dweller species for about a year(I know I could have ordered them, but I like to see the fish before I buy them) and the Ectodus Decampsii are my first experience with sand sifters, so I'm having lots of fun watching them and it looks like one of the males started building his pit for breeding already. Here's some pics.

Hequi

Decampsii

Callipterus

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Watch out if those Lepidiolamprologus hecqui breed. Mine used to take lumps out of sandsifters when with young in a 7 foot tank. They even made me bleed when I tried to take some young from them. A great character fish but not ideal for a peaceful sandsifter tank I think.
A shelly like 'Lamprologus' calliurus caused me a lot less trouble when I got fed up of the hecqui agression and replaced them.

All the best James

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bodenhimer said:
callipterus seem cool. How big do they get? could they get along with callirus or gold occelatus or brevis.
The callipterus females stay small enough to fit in escargot shells, while the males have the potential to get up to 6 inches.

As far as tankmates go, I'm not sure, but the 5 I got don't seem to be aggressive at all, They form a tight pack and move around the tank, heads down, scanning the sand for food, which as far as I know , closely matches what they do in the wild.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Fogelhund said:
James - judging by the gravel, I think they are all in seperate tanks.
Good move that. Lepidiolamprologus hecqui are a right pain in most community tanks. Unless looking or a shelly to do well with other nasties like N.brichardi/N.pulcher or N.leleupi etc or a Tropheus group, then their agression is usefull. :wink:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
24Tropheus said:
Good move that. Lepidiolamprologus hecqui are a right pain in most community tanks. Unless looking or a shelly to do well with other nasties like N.brichardi/N.pulcher or N.leleupi etc or a Tropheus group, then their agression is usefull. :wink:
When I had the hecqui... I kept them with fully grown Champsochromis caeruleus. :lol:

It made for some entertaining viewing. :popcorn:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
bearded lab said:
Did they actually try to chase the caeruleus? Because if so, that is one courageous fish!
Try to... :lol: The caeruleus would swim away at full speed.... Yes, they attacked the Champs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts