Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a Buccochromis cf. Spectabilis, he doesn't seem to want to eat the Cichlid Pellets we have always fed. We feed with both large and small pellets, but he shows no interest. Any advise or ideas?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Awe ok.
IMO, he's still getting used to his environment. I'd give him a week to settle in and by then, he should start eating like a pig. :thumb:

But...a couple of more questions, :) (People are going to ask them anyway so might as well ask now, LOL!)
Besides not eating, is he acting normal? Does he spit out the food? How long has the tank been set up? How large is the tank? Are there any tank-mates? -If so, what?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's not taking in any food to spit out. We feed New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula and he just doesn't seem interested in food at all.The tank has been set up for about 3 years and is a ninety with a cascade 1200 canister filter. His tank mates include: Livingstoni, Iceberg Ahli, EB Ahli, (2) Venustus, Lithobate, Sp. 44, Yellow Lab, M/F Red Empresses, Ob Peacock, Taiwan Reef, Compressicep, OB Zebra, Cobalt, Acei, Red Fin Borleyi, Rusty, and a Lab/Zebra hybrid, and two small ones that we have no idea what they are.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
I'd wait. My 8" borleyi did not act thrilled about being fed for a month or more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's acting fine, and we have no fighting in the tank, it is surprisingly peaceful! Thanks to all for the advice and we'll just watch him and hope he adapts.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
mikeb3rdid said:
He's acting fine, and we have no fighting in the tank, it is surprisingly peaceful! Thanks to all for the advice and we'll just watch him and hope he adapts.
I'm sure he will! :thumb:
Like DJ, I've had fish take a while to become accustomed to their environment as well. :wink:

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had fish that didn't eat for a 7-10 days when introduced to the tank. My large Jack Dempsey didn't eat for 3 weeks when he was introduced to the tank and he was the dominant fish and still is the dominant fish to this day. They will eat eventually when they get accustomed to the tank. When females hold, they won't eat for at least 3 weeks, so I wouldn't worry about it. When they get hungry enough they will eat as long as they are not competing for the food.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It is pretty normal for wild fish to take time to adapt... Tank raised usually less. Why not drive by the dealer and explain the circumstances and ask what they were feeding the fish. Perhaps it was something completely different and the fish isn't used to your food yet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We've purchased a couple other fish from them, and they feed the same food we do, New Life Spectrum Cichlid Pellets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts