Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the "new" tank that I scored for free. Tank, stand, light, and four emperor 400 filters were also included. A friend of my brothers wanted to get rid of it, so I gladly took it off his hands. My idea is to hide the intakes,heaters and UGF lift tubes behind the styro BG.

I will be adding pics as my progress continues. Warning this could take awhile.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know all the bad problems with UGF's. Or should I say the so called problems. I keep another 75 with large fantail goldfish. I have found that UGF keeps waste/poo down to a minimum. Not eliminating it just holding it "down". Where later I vacuum it out. I have not had any of the problems that many people talk about with UGF's. My water parameters in the GF tank are perfectly fine. ( I also use 2 HOB's with the UGF) With proper maintenance the tank stays perfectly clear/clean and without floating poo drifting around waiting for the intake strainer to pick it up. I assume with the 2 large Jack Dempseys that will be housed in the tank, they will also be messy.
With that being said, these are actually the first JD's that I have ever kept. I temp housed the smaller of the two in a 30 gal. She was not a digger. He does not dig in the 180.They are now both in my 180 with several other african cics. That is what brought me to this idea. The 180 is pre-drilled. It has 2 overflow towers. The poo is always drifting around the tank. Drifting and drifting until the overflow catches it and tankes it to my sump. A problem I never have in the GF tank. And the GF tank probably has a heavier fish load, gallon for gallon. I almost wish that my 180 had a UGF system. Just to keep the poo from floating all around the tank. I have even added a mag 350 to the tank just to help with this. And it does. Just with a custom BG that was the idea to hide all the mechanical BS from view. Here are some more pics of the 2 boxes that I built.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With a few days off from work, I completed some more work on my BG. I have already done the caves and rocks BG, so I thought that I would try something a little different.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
WOW, the detail on that background is awesome!!!! While I prefer the natural rock look, I'll be following this thread to see how it comes out.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Great job so far! I am considering doing a BG myself but havent decided on what I wanted to go with yet. I like this type of idea so will be following it along. I had seen one that looked like cliffs on either side with a "bridge span" in between I thought looked really neat. Just need to mustar up the patience to do something like this and keep the kids from breaking it while its a work in progress!!

·
Banned
406 Posts
Looks like a fireplace mantle.....still very nice work!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
how did you get such good detail on the stones and key way by making small pcs or by carving them out this is a very cool idea,will be watching to see how turns out i8fisher

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually cut each "brick". Then glued them onto the square box. I cut the arch out of the main box then added a flat sheet behind. That gave it a 3/4 inch inset. Then added the brick/stones around the arch. Giving it another 3/8 depth. Total of 1-1/8 total depth to the inset. I glued them together using Gorilla Glue. Love the stuff. Works great on foam. I have added a coat of Drylok----dark grey. Will get pics soon.

P.s. I have a idea that will take this project over the top!!! More to come................
:thumb:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
R-DUB said:
I actually cut each "brick". Then glued them onto the square box. I cut the arch out of the main box then added a flat sheet behind. That gave it a 3/4 inch inset. Then added the brick/stones around the arch. Giving it another 3/8 depth. Total of 1-1/8 total depth to the inset.:
Your detailed decription reminds me of the minatures we construct, LOL! Isn't foam great?! :popcorn: :thumb:

·
Registered
677 Posts
WoW R-DUB. Great work...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the BG with a coat of Drylok on. Some places are still missing some coats. There will probably be three total coats.

May recoat with a lighter shade of grey. Seems a bit too dark for the stand and tank. There is still more to come!! This idea will take this to new level. And still I'm the guinea pig. First to try Drylok and the first to try this new idea!!!
:thumb:

·
Banned
406 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not on this project. But my previous BG on my 180. I do not know of anyone using it prior here or on other forums. It is located in the "sticky" threads. If you find someone prior to mine let me know.
:wink:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry about the long wait between posts. While constructing this build I had an idea while going through the pet store one day. I found Marina LED lights. Thought that they would look really cool. This is what they look like in my BG.

Thought that they looked cool in the "daylight" now check them out in the dark

Well I was the guinea pig again. All feed back is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Really like how the BG turned out. The lights look really neat too.

Great Job! :thumb:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanx for the compliments. Added water late last night will get more pics soon. Will probably add my 4 large fantails to the tank first. And build a new BG for my Jacks in the old Gf 75 gal tank. So I will be making another BG real soon! Thanx again.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Looks good!

R-DUB said:
I do not know of anyone using it prior here or on other forums. It is located in the "sticky" threads. If you find someone prior to mine let me know.
:wink:
LOL!
I know a number of people, including myself. -Most of us don't post it. :wink:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts