Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a new 36 gallon bow front aquarium 30x15x21. I have a rena xp3 canister filter, T5 lighting, cichlid substrate, and Reverse osmosis water. I have done cichlid tanks before so i have some experience but not a whole lot. I have been doing a lot of research lately on there diets and just general health so i feel i am ready for a challenging species if necessary. I am not worried about how much time and effort would need to go in to taking care of them I am fine with weekly or even biweekly water changes. The aquarium will be in my living room so i want something that will be very eye catching and preferably a lot of smaller fish than just 1 or 2 large. I have yet to buy any decorations so i can get anything money is not a big issue. What are some good species and how many for this aquarium i would like a species specific tank or just two species. I don't mind ordering on line.

Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Here's the cookie cutter for your tank's footprint: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_29g.php

If you're looking for a community set up I would suggest going with South American cichlids (some may suggest Central American but I know nothing about them.)

At one time I had four Bolivian Rams: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=420
with a bristlenose pleco, 5 cories and 13 rummynose tetras in my 29 gallon. A very colourful tank with a lot of movement and no aggression. If you want to keep it simpler you could skip the cories, but a BN pleco is nice for keeping algae in check.

Rams prefer sand, (and I think it looks better!) plants and some rocks & wood - there are a lot of ways to go in decorating.

Food for thought.

Good luck!

kevin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to sound ungrateful because I appreciate all ideas. But I am leaning more to an African setup. I find In my area even with the r/o water the higher ph water is much easier to achieve.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Kevin's given you some great ideas. The tank will be too small for mbuna, and while Tanganyikan cichlids are really interesting to watch, they probably don't have the eye-catching allure you'll want for a show tank. I personally prefer German/Blue rams to Bolivians, but to each their own :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am willing to compromise on number of fish and eye catching effect in order to have the higher pH. I am in texas and the water here wants to be high no matter what i have fought pH before and it was a battle i did not enjoy to say the least. And i prefer interesting fish more so anyways.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Paracyprichromis nigripinnis and a shell dweller like 'Lamprologus' ocellatus or any similar. Possibly a small julidichromis like ornatus.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts