Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of my current aquariums i have the following (before you say anything I know its too small for that many fish):
45g corner acrylic aquarium
9 - 1 - 1.5" fronts
2 - 1.5" rafael catfish
1 - zebra danio
1 - 4 inch pleco

I have the opportunity to by a 112g bow front acrylic tank with internal overflow and sump for $200, will this be big enough for my stock? And another question is would anyone know where I can purchase or even DIY a bow front wood canopy hood?

AND when I do transfer the fish to the new aquarium, how do I go about doing such a thing. I have always bought them from LFS or private parties in bags and floated them, but never transfered to a new tank.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
what's the dimensions of the 112g? For Frontosa, 6ft long is highly advisable...

To transfer to new tank and avoid even a mini-cycle, put 70g of same source water as the 45g into the 112g, add your dechlorinator, heat the water, add any buffers etc that you want, then transfer everything from the 45g to the 112g... fish, water, substrate, filters, etc.
Don't forget to rinse the gravel/substrate to remove any debris that was trapped prior to the move and use the extra "3" gallons I had you add to the 112g tank to do the rinsing!

No detectable mini-cycle should occur...

The above recipe can be modified in many ways... but it should give you the basic idea of what to do. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
well, you're a foot too short and 18" isn't the greatest either... Fronts are ok in that size though, just not ideal. I'd get it, but only if it's the tank you really want in more ways than just size. :thumb:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Number6: Well i picked up the aquarium and its beautiful, I love it... However, I am in a freak out mode right now. It has a center built in overflow to a sump. The part I am freaking out about is the water pump and basically the plumbing. The aquarium came with two submersible pumps, Rio 1100 and Rio 2100. The built in overflow has one exit hole and two incoming holes for the return. First question is having two pumps ideal or should I replace them with one and if so what size should I get. And for the plumbing (drop to sump and return) what should I use. This is my first sump

1 - 5 of 5 Posts