Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted a Green Terror who is about 9 inches. I took him from someone who didn’t want him anymore and he was supposed to be quite the terror. I set him up in a 55 gallon with lots of hiding spots, all to himself.

He was very shy at first, eating sparingly, and hiding often.

Due to the circumstances, I had to cycle the tank with him, but used seeded filter material and some bacterial additives.

I never let ammonia get over .25ppm and performed small water changes to keep it below that level – averaging .10-.15ppm.

He began to show some breathing issues, like he was clearing his throat and â€Å"chewing,â€Â

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
You could be looking at the first signs of Bloat, hard to say. Is the stringy feces clear, white or colored?
Not sure if stress coat removes ammonia, take a look at the package and if it doesn't say it does I would right away go out and get either Seachem Prime or Amquel Plus. Then I would do a 50% partial water change and use the new dechlorinator--use it at the highest recommended dosage. If Stress coat does remove ammonia then do the water change with it.
Then watch the fish the next few hours to see if there's any change in his symptoms. If he's still not eating and is still breathing abnormally 24 hours after the water change then I would treat him for Bloat. You can use either Jungle Parasite Clear or Clout.

The video was too dark to see anything but no matter, your description was enough.

Let us know how it goes. Beautiful fish, congratulations :)

Robin

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After doing extensive research and several water changes with no luck (despite nitrates rising and ammonia dropping), I realized it was likely parasites.

Parasites live dormant in hosts/fish and when the fish is stressed - i.e. a move out of a home and into a 10G and then into a 55G with two trips in between (poor Elliot - the GT's name) - the immune system in the fish can be compromised and the parasites can take over.

Historically, people treat parasites a number of ways - salt + raised temp, all encompassing meds, salt baths, medicated food, etc.

There is a new product out by aquarium solutions and Hikari that specifically targets parasites only and does not effect the bio filter - like Metro would. It's called PraziPro.

Well, it appears to work wonders.

12 hours after the initial dosage, he is breathing normally and has begun eating again - only his favorite pellets at the moment, and still doesn't like being watched closely when eating, but he ate 4 large pellets this morning.

At first, he took one in and spit it out and I thought - oh no! But then I walked back from the tank and he ate the rest happily.

It may be another day or two before he's totally back to normal, but I'll keep the forum updated.

I also plan to post a PraziPro topic once I am sure the treatment works. They say 3-5 days+ for a treatment.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Glad to hear your treatment is working.
Incidentally, PraziPro (praziquantel) has been around for a few years and is one of the active meds in Jungle Parasite Clear as well as Tetra Parasite Guard. In my opinion, these products cover a wider array of parasite due to their multiple medications. I'm not suggesting that Prazi-pro won't work in your situation, I'm just providing more info for future board searches.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GTZ - Much appreciated. From what I have read, because of its more "limited" scope, it tends to be more benign to everything except the parasites it kills.

Since it was in the early stages, I thought, do the most potentially "harmless" treatment, and then if that didn't work, I could take more drastic measures.

So far, so good. He is getting more energetic by the hour, having little to no trouble breathing, and he ate again this afternoon – only a little - but that's better than nothing!

I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
dakski said:
So far, so good. He is getting more energetic by the hour, having little to no trouble breathing, and he ate again this afternoon – only a little - but that's better than nothing!
:thumb:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elliot has been parasite free for about a week. He is eating like a pig and his colors are brilliant.

His stomach is no longer caved in and his is much more energetic and social.

He begs for food and seems to relish attention.

Thank you all for your help.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts