Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a juvenile acei cichlid that was alone in a 60gal tank for a month or two. Yesterday I added 2 yellow labs and another acei all juvenile. The old Acei is about 1.7 inches long or so and the new acei is like 1 inch long.

When I first added them the bigger Acei chased the smaller one for a bit then calmed down. For like half a day they swam side by side and there wasnt much aggression except sometimes the bigger one would chase the smaller one, then the smaller one would go back to the big onesometimes to get chased again.

Today he's been hiding in a hole in a piece of driftwood just big enough for him to fit in. I only saw him try to come out once and I saw him go into a cave and the bigger acei went after him into the cave and chased him out.

And right now as Im typing this the small acei came out of the driftwood and was in a rock but got chased out again.

Theyre all less than 1.5 inches and like I said the acei dont bother the yellow labs. What should I do?

·
Registered
53 Posts
sounds like you have a very territorial fish. Move some of the decor around or add some decor. Sometimes I just pull the bully out in a 10gl timeout tank for a few days. I dont think its male too female agression they seem to be too young for that.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Mbuna aren't pairing fish, they are referred to as harem breeders. Basically males like lots of females to harass and don't like other males trying to mess with their girls.
So, most often you want 1male for every 4 females. This is the case with the Labs and Acei. Otherwise, you'll end up with one fish being constantly stressed.
Stressed fish tend to die eventually.
Most would agree that Acei are best suited to 75g and up as they get to be a large mbuna.
Your 60g (48"x13"?) is suitable for a 3 species mbuna tank, again with 1m:4f stocking, if you can't pick male or female at your LFS, get what you can and eventually you'll be able to find out on your own what's what.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
GTZ said:
males like lots of females .
Agree, sounds like maybe you don't have enough acei.

The other thing to note is sometimes 60G tanks are 36" long and acei is a big fish for a mbuna, maturing at 7". So check tank dimensions before adding more acei, but if they are a fit for your tank, a group of 5 is the smallest I would do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I re arranged the decor and He's calmed down a little but I will be getting several more. And my tank is 48" wide.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
If it is 48" x 18" I'd definitely go for a group of five at least.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I went to 2 different petsmarts and 3 local fish stores until I found similar size Acei and bought 3 of them and 2 more labs and all the aggression disappeared after the first 10mins now theyll see each other and wont do anything some will even be in the same cave at the same time.

I will keep watching them but so far so good.

Only thing though is one of the smaller Acei likes to stick to the biggest Acei he follows him a lot, He doesnt chase him he just swims by his side, what should I make of this?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My acei practically school together (5, unknown sexes).

(I have about 40 other fish in the tank though)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts