Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

The keyholes must be 3 years old by now... only 2 of them, must both males is my guess. I keep haunting the LFSes but can't get more. :(

I might cave and get some Laetacara curviceps/dorsigera if I can't find more keyholes in the next 3 months or so...

·
Registered
877 Posts
im in the exact same boat with the keyholes. i have two, not sure on sex, but they are about 2 years old. i want more but the only ones i ever see are tiny and they would get eaten in my tank. i really want more. they are fantastic and yours are very beautiful. i just noticed the keyhole showing his camo in the pic with your koi angel. thats a great shot... i didnt even see him until just now!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I picked up a pair of bolivian rams and lil baby keyhole cichlid (only one they had). I'll be getting a group of Astraloheros oblongum juvies in the mail soon too.

quick pics:

female bolivian ram

keyhole and weeun keyhole. isn't he the cutest thing evar!?!

·
Registered
877 Posts
i love baby keyholes. they are such underrated cichlids imo.

i kept oblongum in my 75 gallon tank with keyholes and it worked surprisingly well. keep an eye on the little guy though, oblongum get rough as they get larger. not mean or agressive, just rough and tumble which would occasionally overwhelm my keyholes.

please post some pics when the new guys arrive. do the keyholes and bolivians do well together? its a combo i have considered but crowding the bottom of the tank always scared me away.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The oblongums are juvies (2-3)" and the breeder said that they are super mellow, so I'm not too worried about the little keyhole.

I can't say how the keyholes and bolivians will do, as it's only been a day so far. Honestly, my keyholes like to hang out in the middle of the tank in the swords and driftwood, not on the bottom (except when they are sleeping). The bolivians have taken the front left where there is open substrate to sift... no surprise there, lol.

·
Registered
705 Posts
my god. great setup. glad to see someone thats pulling it off. sooner or later youll end up with plants to sell off. maybe then the LFS will get some keyholes for ya :). either way i love it. GJ and keep the evolution pics coming

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks MT and Anthraxx!

Yeah, I sell off plants fairly often. No luck with LFSes, I sell online though.

I'll post pics when the Astroloheroes come next week.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are some pics of the new Astraloheroes oblongum and a few other shots. Unfortunately, the most colorful stayed in hiding. I'll get some pics of them eventually for sure though!

Here's one:

And another:

And a wee un:

Das Keyholzen:

El Rey:

La Princesa:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts