Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new 90gal tank and need some suggestions about stocking. I like the idea of an all male tank as I'd like the tank to be very colorful. I like alot of the Peacocks and Haps I've seen. I'm not as keen on mbuna. Can I have a successful tank with only Peacocks or should I mix species? Would I have a higher chance of success if I bought juvenile fish and moved the females and troublemakers as they became apparent?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Read the all-male tank article in the library and look at tanks belonging to experienced fishkeepers like Fogelhund, Joea and GoofBoy for stocking ideas.

Yes you can have only peacocks, but I can't think of 12 that don't look alike. Mixing haps and peacocks gives a lot of variety. The highest chance of success is to buy young but colored up males.

·
Registered
36 Posts
newbie question: I am sure I have read elsewhere in the forum that females bring out the male color. How does an all male tank maintain their color?
TIA!

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Some males need females more than others. Victorians for example. But Malawi color up 95% without the females...they posture for each other. :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
DJRansome said:
Some males need females more than others. Victorians for example. But Malawi color up 95% without the females...they posture for each other. :lol:
Kinda like the guys in the public relations - advertising game :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts