Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to re-do my tank after being in Iraq for a year. It is a planted tank, with mostly anubias on driftwood, with some rotala, crypts and a nice aponogeton vulvaceous plant in the corner. My substrate has 3 layers: peat, seachem fluorite/shultz mix capped with play sand.

Filtration: Rena XP2, AC 50 HOB and a powerhead w/ sponge running 2 UG Jets
PH: 7.5
HARD water
Temp: 78-80

Fish:
Pair of Rainbow ichlids, with the male being about 2 1/2 to 3 inches TL
2 Nic cichlids, I think I have 1M and 1F. both about 3 inches TL
3 unidentified Geos, 2 to 2 1/2 inches TL. They were sold as S. Jurupari, but I think they are a Surinamensis type (Not Geo Surinamensis). Likely altifrons, but I've seen pics that make me say Dicrozoster.
Dithers: 6 Diamond Tetras and 5 Rummynose
I almost forgot, I have 3 fish that have survived all sorts of tank disasters I've had in the past 6 years: 1 L-200 Pleco and 2 L-199's.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi arndogg,

Glad you are back and re-set up your tank. Sounds like it should be a great tank; I like all your fish choices.

My two concerns would be: 1) the adult size of the Geos, they could possible reach 12" and in an 80 gallon with a male nic that could be 10" it might get tight and aggressive; 2) the rummy nose are too small and may get eaten.

Keep us posted. If you have any pictures please share.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
982 Posts
I would stick w/ CA fish with your water, or you would have to lower your ph for the SA fish. If you are looking for nice looking eartheaters then a. robertsoni or a. rostratus would be great choices. The water would be perfect for them and they are amazing fish that don't get overly aggressive. Both sp. max out at 10''

My a. robertsoni:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I agree the Geos dont fit the mix.

A Thorichthys species like a firemouth would be nice.

Dont add too many pairs.

....Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts