4 Protomelas Taeniolatus 2"
4 Tramitochromis Intermedias 2"
Thoughts?
Bottom feeders?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Plans to upgrade? Most of those species deserve a 6' tank. The numbers of each is on the low side, as well. Are you going for breeding groups?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Agree with Iggy. The only fish on your list I would keep in a 75G would be the lithobates and the tramitichromis due to size at maturity.

No need for bottom feeders...just feed the proper amount. If you want a bottom dweller, I suggest Synodontis lucipinnis in a group of 5.

A guideline for a 75G would be 4 species that mature <= 6" with 1m:4f of each.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning on upgrading to a 6' tank in a year,I figured they would still be less than 6" by that time but if I didn't I can see where size would be a problem .
Thanks, I'll amend my selections accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Once they are breeding (any time now if they are 2" already) you will want the bigger tank. It's less to allow for the size of the fish, and more to allow for the aggression that starts with spawning.

In a 72" tank I like a max of 5 species with 1m:4f of each. That would be for fish that mature <= 6" so large haps I would stock less.

·
Registered
136 Posts
DJRansome said:
Agree with Iggy. The only fish on your list I would keep in a 75G would be the lithobates and the tramitichromis due to size at maturity..
Someone should take a look at the cookie cutter recommendations then, since the red empress, dolphin & pheonchilus are recommended for 75g.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
You can "get away" with some medium Haps in a 75g, but they might not do that well, nor too many. Reality is that they do much better in a 6 foot tank. A group of 4 Buccochromis even needs more than a 6 foot tank, they are active big fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts