Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a new to me 75g setup(stand, sump... everything) With this tank I'd like to do a species tank with O. Lithobates. I want to do a species tank mainly to compare the behavior of a fish in a large group/same species verse being in smaller groups with 3 species. I'm choosing Lithobates because I already have 4(1m/3f) that were rejected from my current tank. My question is concerning what my target stock should be, 1 male with alot of females(specific number anyone?), or could I go with a saulosi style number of 3m/10f? my concern isn't so much with colors, more with behavior and I am aware that with 3 males, only one will probably color up fully with the other 2 probably retaining juvenile/female colors.

Another question, could I start with the 4 I have and let them breed out, or with such a small number would you thank they would be more inclined to hide?

·
Registered
363 Posts
My breeding group of lithobates is 1M/4F in a 40 breeder.... in with a quad of Undu Reef Jakes (yup, it works and both groups breed with no crossbreeding).

I think that a quad would certainly be fine in a 75, but a bit of an empty tank imo. You're right, I think they will find their own caves and end up hiding most of the time. If it were me, I'd try 2-3M/6-8F. If you went with more than one male and kept species-only, you would most likely have more than one color up... maybe not fully, but pretty decent. Plus, presence of a 2nd (or 3rd) male will encourage better coloration in the alpha male.

Unlike most rock dwelling Tangs, you won't end up with much of a colony with these guys. They will readily eat their fry and while a few will survive, the tank will tank a *LONG* time to fill up imo.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could always wait for them to breed, then pull fry, I kind of figured it would take a while, but at my current salary, it'll take me forever to stock it as well. I am more then aware that malawi cichlids aren't considered a colony but more of a harem, I was just thanking that with only 4 fish and a good amount of rock work, more then a couple would survive... looks like I'm setting up my 30g grow-out, wifey gonna love this :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Cognition said:
I could always wait for them to breed, then pull fry, I kind of figured it would take a while, but at my current salary, it'll take me forever to stock it as well. I am more then aware that malawi cichlids aren't considered a colony but more of a harem, I was just thanking that with only 4 fish and a good amount of rock work, more then a couple would survive... looks like I'm setting up my 30g grow-out, wifey gonna love this :D
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be condescending with the colony statement. I'm still pretty new here and don't know who people are/what they keep/experience level/etc. A few years ago, I couldn't tell you the difference in behavior between haps and rock Tangs and who would colonize.

I know you're looking for a species tank, but what about adding another breeding group? Some smaller peacocks or more mild Copadichromis shouldn't bother the lithobates and would still act as dithers. Without a reason to come out of their caves/territories, I'm just picturing them hiding all the time.

I've also had good luck with using rainbowfish as dithers....

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No harm, I really didn't consider it as condescending, like you said its hard to know what other people know on this forum.

I had considered using a dither temporarily, I'll have to look up these rainbow fish you speak of. I really want to avoid other cichlids because I have this tendency to impulse buy them and end up straying from my original plan, It has worked out for me in the past but, like i said, I want a species tank of 3m/9-10f. There is a shop close by that sales 3 inch Lithobates(were i purchased my quad) but they go for $30 a pop(male of female). Like said, I'm on a short salary at the moment and fish are residing at the bottom of the budget... But thanks for the input, always appreciated

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ouch.. $30 a pop is pretty steep. Is there a local fish club in your area?

Mine are breeding like crazy and I have 2" juvies now. Wish you were closer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts