Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to getting my 75g corner overflow. I went ahead and set up the herbie style over flow, with the full siphon on the 3/4 drain with the full siphon and the emergency on the 1" drain, running to a 20g high sump.
The sump is set up to drain then up a bubble trap w/ enkamat (coarse filter pad) then up over the baffle to a blue/white filter pad, then I have about 2.5-3g of lava rock, goes up over another baffle and through a basket that holds purigen, chemipure, and another blue/white filter pad. Then I have an ehiem 2217 with coarse pads and about 3-4l of seachem matrix.

Right now I have the ehiem with all fish in a 40g long. I plan to fill the tank up in the next few days and wanting to transfer the fish. Fill up tank and treat with prime, let run for 24hr, add stability, then start the transfer.

Current stocking
5-cyprichromis leptosoma utinta
5-syno lucipinnis
2- lamp. occelatus gold
1-neo. cylindricus
2- bristlenose

When I plan to move the fish over whats the best way to go about this? I will be taking some of the rocks out the tank as well as the filter. Should I just add the fish straight to the new tank with the filter or take some water from the previous tank (I know water doesn't hold much bacteria), Also how soon after should I start adding new fish?

Final stocking plans
8-10- cyps
5- syno
2-3- occies to pair
1-2- cylindricus to pair
2-3- alto comps to pair
2- bristlenose
around 20-25max till I get a pair of each.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I'd go higher on the cyps (12 minimum) and skip the cylindricus with shellies in the tank.

I would add the cyps and the occelatus right away and a group of six comps in 3 months or so.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Myself, I would not add fish to the new tank until it was fully cycled; I set up a 40 breeder a while back using an Aquaclear 70 HOB filter. I used established media from one of my large canisters and It still took 3 weeks for the filter to convert 2-3 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. What I failed to take into account is that quite a bit of the beneficial bacteria live on the rocks/substrate/glass in the aquarium and my new tank had none.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old Newbie said:
Myself, I would not add fish to the new tank until it was fully cycled; I set up a 40 breeder a while back using an Aquaclear 70 HOB filter. I used established media from one of my large canisters and It still took 3 weeks for the filter to convert 2-3 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. What I failed to take into account is that quite a bit of the beneficial bacteria live on the rocks/substrate/glass in the aquarium and my new tank had none.
I'll be using the existing filter over as well, not just taking out some media.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
I would also wait on adding new fish to be sure the transition goes well by monitoring water parameters even though you are using a mature canister filter from the old tank.

I would move the rocks over that you want but wouldn't bother with transferring any old water. Adding the existing fish to the new tank once it reaches temperature and with same parameters, not sure if you alter water chemistry, always works well for me.

You may want to consider quarantining new fish for up to a month before adding them to the new tank just to avoid potential health issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts