Cichlid Fish Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
OK adding more plants is on hold for now.

The fish have been doing OK and so far I haven't seen ammonia or nitrite spikes in the tests I've been doing every 24 hours. They are out roaming around, eating OK and the larger caudopunctatus is busy digging in the sand.

The bloom that was clouding things up is still there but has subsided quite a bit. This weekend I will be doing a 25% water change regardless of how the water tests and will do the first cleaning of the glass.

I will let things settle down for another 2-3 weeks at least before I look at putting the j. transcriptus in there.

Registered
OK adding more plants is on hold for now.

The fish have been doing OK and so far I haven't seen ammonia or nitrite spikes in the tests I've been doing every 24 hours. They are out roaming around, eating OK and the larger caudopunctatus is busy digging in the sand.

The bloom that was clouding things up is still there but has subsided quite a bit. This weekend I will be doing a 25% water change regardless of how the water tests and will do the first cleaning of the glass.

I will let things settle down for another 2-3 weeks at least before I look at putting the j. transcriptus in there.
Hi!馃槂
Sounds like you have everything in control then!馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The fish seem to be doing well so far and have continued digging small burrows around the larger base stones on the rock formations. I've been keeping an eye on this to make sure they don't destabilize anything significant and cause a collapse.

Ammonia has continued to test zero. I have however observed some nitrite spiking going on. Levels that aren't real high but high enough to register on the second bar in the test kit. I have already performed one water change to address the initial spike but the level continues to creep back up. Will be changing more water this evening after work and it seems frequent and continuous changes will be needed to stay ahead of it.

Hopefully this will settle down in the next couple weeks and I can move to regular 1-2 week water changes and start looking at locating the next group of fish to add, j. ornatus.

Super Moderator
Be careful. With the live aquatic plants in that tank, they are interfering with the cycling process of your aquarium. Don't stock with any more fish until you get consistent ZERO's on the test kit for both Ammonia and Nitrite.
Plus, your industrious little diggers will undermine your rocks and could cause some pretty disastrous rock-falls in the tank. Best way to prevent that problem, is to ensure the lowest rocks on the pile are all seated down directly onto the bottom glass of the aquarium.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Fish are still doing OK. Water is now pretty much crystal clear sans the micro bubbles from all the cavitation due to running a couple somewhat large HOB power filters. I'd forgotten how those tend to stir things up to the degree they do. Great for oxygenation in the water but a minor annoyance from an aesthetic perspective.

Nitrite spikes are still happening and I'm needing to stay out ahead of it with water changes. Been doing 50% every 2-3 days and the fish don't seem to care.

Am now experiencing a brown diatom bloom showing up on the surface of rocks and on the play sand substrate. Most likely nothing I can really do about that, nor should I do, except let it cycle out over time. Just another new tank teething thing. Play sand not helping with that either but saving a lot of money by using it over other sand substrate choices has a cost of it's own. This is part of it.

Couple photos attached here.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Quick update on things. Tank is going OK so far. It's been going through a diatom bloom that has just recently started to subside a bit it seems. Some green algae is now coming in on rocks.

Nitrite and ammonia spikes are no longer happening that I've observed. Went almost a week now without doing a water change and no issues there. Went ahead and did a water change last night.

Filled the media baskets in the penguin 350s with some stuff I got off amazon for bio filtration. Once those are established in a week or so I'm going to pull the wheels out to clear out micro bubbles in the tank. After that's all done and settled then I can start thinking about adding a few more plants and possibly get an order in for j. ornatus.

Super Moderator
+1 to @DJRansome
-
Or, as is sometimes said in the military when things have to go right the first time?
'SLOW - IS FAST'

Registered
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Bit of an update here.

I added the rest of the fish this weekend. Six j. ornatus and twelve c. leptosoma. These are all smaller fish, roughly about the same as the n. caudopunctatus already in the tank with the exception of the larger dominant male punctatus.

Everyone is eating and survived the trip. However, I'm having issues now with aggression. The caudopunctatus are just being nasty to the newcomers in particular the cyps who seem more delicate and not really interested in getting grouchy back. I was pretty upset this morning when I noticed one of them had almost the entirety of their caudal fin gone. That fish is still swimming around and eating like the rest.

Not sure what I can do about this. If things don't settle down in the next 2-3 days I'm going to tear out most of the interior of the tank and completely rearrange it. Should that not resolve the issue then at that point I'll be forced to remove someone and take them to the LFS for a re-home. I'm a little disappointed with this since I had thought the punctatus were more peaceful than this and would co-exist. But having been added first they seem to think they own the place.

Attachments

Administrator
Cyps are often the least aggressive and IME they are sold on the small side. Could you stick the caudos in your hospital/quarntine tank until the cyps grow out a little and/or establish territories?

Do they have high caves? Mine were happy with the ledges in my 3D background but people often put tall pieces of slate leaning against the background near the waterline.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I have that one big resin structure in the middle which is very tall. Thats it though for tall structures and ledges.

I have one group of 8 cyps that hang out on the right side and a smaller group on the left. The smaller group hangs out in the left upper corner and seems to be the worse for wear.

I鈥檓 feeding twice daily now to help cut down any aggression from that side of things. After work tomorrow I may remove and redo the interior anyway to try and help even if theres no issues tonight. Change water same time.

I don鈥檛 have a second tank. If I cant resolve the issue then someone is going to be evicted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Update:

Things have settled down quite a bit now. Water quality is nice and clear. The fish are all doing well with the exception of two cyps.

Of the 12 cyps I got there are two that are starving and refuse to eat. They are otherwise fine and are not being pestered by any of the other tank mates. They are a little darker than the others but that is the only difference I can see.

I've read a couple other threads and there isn't anything that can be done here. They may have gone blind for reasons unknown or were so traumatized by shipment that it caused the problem. I can only speculate. I've tried live baby brine and had zero result. They just will not eat even with food right in front of them. Sad, but they're goners I think.

I'd like to add a few more cyp leptosoma utinta when they come back into stock and maybe some nerite snails. Beyond that though the tank is more or less done.

Registered
...Of the 12 cyps I got there are two that are starving and refuse to eat. They are otherwise fine and are not being pestered by any of the other tank mates. They are a little darker than the others but that is the only difference I can see.

I've read a couple other threads and there isn't anything that can be done here. They may have gone blind for reasons unknown or were so traumatized by shipment that it caused the problem. I can only speculate. I've tried live baby brine and had zero result. They just will not eat even with food right in front of them. Sad, but they're goners I think...
Sadly, I think you're probably right. Cyprichromis are very active fishes, and expend lots of energy every day, so they need lots of nourishment. If they are stressed or otherwise compromised, they gradually waste away until ultimately they reach the condition you describe, which is difficult to rescue. It can be done (sometimes), but generally requires that you move them into a different tank.

My guess is that these fishes were already compromised when you got them, as they rarely get proper long-term care in holding tanks. With so many people viewing Cyps as just 'dithers,' they rarely get the care and attention they deserve, but under the right conditions, they are stunning and interesting fishes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I'm a little upset about it and have considered culling them humanely. However, there is a chance albeit it remote that they may come around. I'm not sure I want to deprive them of that. I am continuing to hatch and feed baby brine. The other fish go crazy for it.

I definitely think these fish are more than just some dither and honestly expect them to be the center piece of the tank once they get big enough to start showing coloration and come into their own. Really looking forward to it! They are slow growers though and even stuffing themselves on baby brine and northfin flake - will be a while.

Administrator
Agree, they don't ship all that well and may be sold undersized. Deaths among newly shipped Tangs (cyps and calvus IME) are not unusual, whereas I almost never have a Lake Malawi death after shipping.

Registered
Agree, they don't ship all that well and may be sold undersized. Deaths among newly shipped Tangs (cyps and calvus IME) are not unusual, whereas I almost never have a Lake Malawi death after shipping.
True enough. Some online suppliers that offer Live-on-Arrival guarantees for most of their fishes specifically exclude Tanganyikans from such a guarantee. :mad:

61 - 78 of 78 Posts