Cichlid Fish Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
OK adding more plants is on hold for now.

The fish have been doing OK and so far I haven't seen ammonia or nitrite spikes in the tests I've been doing every 24 hours. They are out roaming around, eating OK and the larger caudopunctatus is busy digging in the sand.

The bloom that was clouding things up is still there but has subsided quite a bit. This weekend I will be doing a 25% water change regardless of how the water tests and will do the first cleaning of the glass.

I will let things settle down for another 2-3 weeks at least before I look at putting the j. transcriptus in there.

Registered
OK adding more plants is on hold for now.

The fish have been doing OK and so far I haven't seen ammonia or nitrite spikes in the tests I've been doing every 24 hours. They are out roaming around, eating OK and the larger caudopunctatus is busy digging in the sand.

The bloom that was clouding things up is still there but has subsided quite a bit. This weekend I will be doing a 25% water change regardless of how the water tests and will do the first cleaning of the glass.

I will let things settle down for another 2-3 weeks at least before I look at putting the j. transcriptus in there.
Hi!馃槂
Sounds like you have everything in control then!馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The fish seem to be doing well so far and have continued digging small burrows around the larger base stones on the rock formations. I've been keeping an eye on this to make sure they don't destabilize anything significant and cause a collapse.

Ammonia has continued to test zero. I have however observed some nitrite spiking going on. Levels that aren't real high but high enough to register on the second bar in the test kit. I have already performed one water change to address the initial spike but the level continues to creep back up. Will be changing more water this evening after work and it seems frequent and continuous changes will be needed to stay ahead of it.

Hopefully this will settle down in the next couple weeks and I can move to regular 1-2 week water changes and start looking at locating the next group of fish to add, j. ornatus.

Super Moderator
Be careful. With the live aquatic plants in that tank, they are interfering with the cycling process of your aquarium. Don't stock with any more fish until you get consistent ZERO's on the test kit for both Ammonia and Nitrite.
Plus, your industrious little diggers will undermine your rocks and could cause some pretty disastrous rock-falls in the tank. Best way to prevent that problem, is to ensure the lowest rocks on the pile are all seated down directly onto the bottom glass of the aquarium.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Fish are still doing OK. Water is now pretty much crystal clear sans the micro bubbles from all the cavitation due to running a couple somewhat large HOB power filters. I'd forgotten how those tend to stir things up to the degree they do. Great for oxygenation in the water but a minor annoyance from an aesthetic perspective.

Nitrite spikes are still happening and I'm needing to stay out ahead of it with water changes. Been doing 50% every 2-3 days and the fish don't seem to care.

Am now experiencing a brown diatom bloom showing up on the surface of rocks and on the play sand substrate. Most likely nothing I can really do about that, nor should I do, except let it cycle out over time. Just another new tank teething thing. Play sand not helping with that either but saving a lot of money by using it over other sand substrate choices has a cost of it's own. This is part of it.

Couple photos attached here.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Quick update on things. Tank is going OK so far. It's been going through a diatom bloom that has just recently started to subside a bit it seems. Some green algae is now coming in on rocks.

Nitrite and ammonia spikes are no longer happening that I've observed. Went almost a week now without doing a water change and no issues there. Went ahead and did a water change last night.

Filled the media baskets in the penguin 350s with some stuff I got off amazon for bio filtration. Once those are established in a week or so I'm going to pull the wheels out to clear out micro bubbles in the tank. After that's all done and settled then I can start thinking about adding a few more plants and possibly get an order in for j. ornatus.

Super Moderator
+1 to @DJRansome
-
Or, as is sometimes said in the military when things have to go right the first time?
'SLOW - IS FAST'

61 - 70 of 70 Posts