Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
40,591 Posts
If color is your goal, I would choose fish from Lake Malawi as opposed to Lake Tanganyika. Also why limit to one Synodontis? Some of the solitary synos hide all the time. Gregarious types are Synodontis lucipinnis and prefer to be kept in groups of five.

·
Administrator
40,591 Posts
IME a single anything from Lake Tang in a Lake Tang community just hides. When you go Tang you go for behavior as opposed to shocking colors like the leleupi.

What about new world?

·
Administrator
40,591 Posts
I would get non-jumbo cyps...Cyprichromis leptosoma. The males can be solid blue or blue with yellow markings. I like the all-blue ones, but matter of opinion.

Regani are a larger julidochromis...not one of the smaller species that sir_keith specified if you want a 3rd species.

·
Administrator
40,591 Posts
Remember the julidochromis and caudopunctatus may form a pair and drive the other four fish from the tank. Then you will have 2 pairs and the cyps. I don't see a reason why it would not work.

·
Administrator
40,591 Posts
I would not do dolphins in a 75G.

I would not feed Tetra products. Look for New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula 1mm sinking pellets. Order online. OR Northfin Cichlid Formula sinking pellets.

·
Administrator
40,591 Posts
How did you cycle the tank? If the cloudiness is white, it is a bacteria bloom. Ideally the bacteria that are currently in the water column will settle on your media. If the caudos are already on their way, it will not hurt them (as long as ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrate continues to increase).

If you have not ordered them why not wait? Did you disturb the substrate at all?

·
Administrator
40,591 Posts
Buy a master freshwater test kit with liquid reagents and test tubes...it will have pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests...all essential. You will be testing daily.

·
Administrator
40,591 Posts
Cyps are often the least aggressive and IME they are sold on the small side. Could you stick the caudos in your hospital/quarntine tank until the cyps grow out a little and/or establish territories?

Do they have high caves? Mine were happy with the ledges in my 3D background but people often put tall pieces of slate leaning against the background near the waterline.

·
Administrator
40,591 Posts
Agree, they don't ship all that well and may be sold undersized. Deaths among newly shipped Tangs (cyps and calvus IME) are not unusual, whereas I almost never have a Lake Malawi death after shipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts