Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Hi. I just set up a 75g tank and have it cycling. Currently nothing in the tank but a couple anubias nana and java fern. Caves are setup from granite pieces and I have two main cave 'complexes' one on each end of the tank. Middle area is somewhat open with pieces of granite pointing up vertically to provide a bit of a visual barrier between the two ends.

It's been about 10 years since I've had a cichlid tank and while I'm not a complete newb I'm not sure where to go with this. My goals look something like this:

Off the cuff my inclination would be to start with a group of leleupei, julies, and cyprichromis.

Thoughts please? Thanks in advance.
Hi!馃槂 nice to meet you!馃槂
I just love Blue Dolphins and you could get like 1 male and 2 females! Whatya think?
You have a nice big tank.

Registered
Six caudos on the way!

For flake food is this stuff decent?

Tetra TetraCichlid Balanced Diet Flakes Food for Cichlids
Hi!馃槂
Just food (pun included!馃槀馃槀) for thought. We use Seachem green/w garlic flake food along with everything else we feed, which is actually around the spectrum!馃槂 but, anyways, the garlic protects your babies from pretty much everything! If the poor babies aren't sick beforehand though, of course. We NEVER have any problems with Ich, parasites, they'll always healthy...nowww...if we could just be warned about nitrates and such, it'd be a perfect hobby...really!!馃槀馃槀

Registered
They can鈥檛 delay so I will pick up some stress coat and a nitrite/nitrate tester tonight at petsmart. The starter fluid was added yesterday per the instructions. I鈥檓 not sure I want to just dump a whole bunch more in there. I have an ammonia kit on the way too.

I can do daily water changes if needed. Not a problem. Those are ten times easier with freshwater tanks and a python vs dealing with saltwater. Been there done that.
Hi!馃槂
Just for FYI, a uv light will most definitely quicken the situation as you do the other things that really need to be done as well!馃槂

Registered
Well they made it through the night. Will test the water this afternoon before their first feeding. Wish this bloom would go away but I鈥檓 probably stuck with it for a while. I think I鈥檓 seeing a film from it starting to coat the rocks and the leaves on the anubias. Kinda gross but not much I can do until things calm down.
Hi!馃槂
As I've mentioned before uv lights/systems are great for this issue.
I'm glad that your babies are doing fine, this is a blessing!馃槂

Registered
OK adding more plants is on hold for now.

The fish have been doing OK and so far I haven't seen ammonia or nitrite spikes in the tests I've been doing every 24 hours. They are out roaming around, eating OK and the larger caudopunctatus is busy digging in the sand.

The bloom that was clouding things up is still there but has subsided quite a bit. This weekend I will be doing a 25% water change regardless of how the water tests and will do the first cleaning of the glass.

I will let things settle down for another 2-3 weeks at least before I look at putting the j. transcriptus in there.
Hi!馃槂
Sounds like you have everything in control then!馃槂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts